Talk

Advanced search

First UK prosecution for FGM

(9 Posts)
grimbletart Fri 21-Mar-14 10:43:37

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-26681364

About time too!

Skybore Fri 21-Mar-14 11:32:30

Such a sad story linked to that one too...

The unopened 'Pleasure Hospital' of Bobo

noddingoff Fri 21-Mar-14 13:04:39

good

Thecrazy88 Fri 21-Mar-14 13:42:02

A step in the right direction, presumably if convicted they will be permanently struck off?

Thecrazy88 Fri 21-Mar-14 13:42:28

I meant, in addition to prison or whatever

AnnieLobeseder Fri 21-Mar-14 13:45:13

It is very good news indeed, and it's always good when this important issue gets some press and awareness is raised.

There's another thread on this elsewhere on MN. It is progressing in a predicable manner....

SirChenjin Fri 21-Mar-14 13:48:22

Excellent news - and hopefully this is just the start of it. It's appalling that this has been allowed to continue for so long in the UK with no prosecutions, until now.

TheXxed Tue 25-Mar-14 22:42:22

Terrible news! It looks like the CPS was so eager to appear tough on FGM that they have inadvertently put victims in danger.

It appears that practice has been overestimated and this is leading to prejudice. I was very lucky to attend talk chaired by tamsin Bradley which examined the media depiction of FGM. One thing that she mentioned that really stuck with me was the association between the way FGM has been handled and the panic surrounding forced marriage in south east asian community. It seems as though no lessons have been learnt.

TheXxed Wed 26-Mar-14 12:45:57

Really disappointed in the guardian's lack of coverage. The first prosecution are clearly political.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now