Talk

Advanced search

Abortion in feminism

(8 Posts)
zombiestomper Wed 19-Mar-14 17:48:21

Hi all I have to give a presentation in college re abortion, specifically arguing for abortion from san Irish perspective...anyone got any good links for information?

FrigginRexManningDay Thu 20-Mar-14 12:42:26

What do you mean abortion from an Irish perspective? The abortion laws in my country and whether I think they are anti women sort of thing?

SinisterSal Thu 20-Mar-14 13:00:58

You could definitely do a piece on the hardships women have to go through if their foetus is diagnosed with serious life threatening complications.
This usually occurs at the 20 week scan (the first scan offered under our public health system)
If bad news is found at this point doctors cannot offer a termination.
Women have to find out their own options regarding whether termination is an 'option' for their particular circumstance.
They have to get on RyanAir and find and go to a British clinic.
There are issues with aftercare for the mother, and funeral arrangements for the foetus.
Can you imagine the emotional, physical, financial & social implications of this?

I am friendly with a woman who underwent this, I don't really know the details so I can't help with that. I am sure there are websites out there if you google.

FrigginRexManningDay Thu 20-Mar-14 13:16:48

TFMR, termination for medical reasons. Heartbreaking stories. And there has also been a few cases regarding irelands abortion laws in front of the ECHR.

MadamBatShit Thu 20-Mar-14 13:21:08

Remember Women On Waves?
www.womenonwaves.org/en/page/772/what-happened-in-ireland

https://www.abortionsupport.org.uk/ charity here that helps women travelling from Ireland.

zombiestomper Mon 24-Mar-14 14:35:28

thanks for the ideas .. be back later to discuss.

LRDtheFeministDragon Mon 24-Mar-14 17:15:50

This is a bit cheeky, isn't it? No problem with people who want to discuss stuff they're studying or ask for help with a specific bit of a task, but you're basically asking people to do your research for you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now