Talk

Advanced search

How have I not read Germaine Greer's The Whole Woman!

(7 Posts)
sweetassugarhardasnails Tue 18-Mar-14 15:21:29

I found it in a second hand book shop this morning and now can't put it down.

PenguinsEatSpinach Tue 18-Mar-14 15:23:08

Good on you! You're a better woman than I. I've tried reading Greer loads of times and her obsession with menstrual blood always stops me dead. No doubt there would be lots of interesting stuff if I could get past that.

The Whole Woman is brilliant. There's one bit about fgm that's just wrong but she tends to write to be contentious.
I love the chapter on shopping, and the one on medicine. It's really really worth reading.

PenguinsEatSpinach Tue 18-Mar-14 17:27:10

Is it the Whole Woman where she has a large chunk on transsexuals too? I really couldn't get on with her views on that IIRC. But I know that's a bit of a derailing issue on here so I'll leave well alone.

Lottiedoubtie Tue 18-Mar-14 17:29:27

I was forced to read some as part of my undergraduate degree and was so shock by most if it, it put me off feminism for some time sad

I'm not sure why, since then I have heard her speak a couple of times (once to a very small group and got to ask questions afterwards) and have been very impressed.

Perhaps I should go back and try again.

Some quotes here www.goodreads.com/work/quotes/2211542-the-whole-woman - not my typos but I still feel guilty.

I like her polemic style. She writes about what's instinctively true for her and she makes connections in an interesting way.

EEatingSoupForLunch Tue 18-Mar-14 23:45:32

I was taught by GG at university and agree about the deliberately contentious thing. She was great at challenging assumptions that you hadn't realised were there though. I think I may re-read!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now