Talk

Advanced search

Anyone listening to Woman's Hour?

(16 Posts)
ChaosTrulyReigns Mon 17-Mar-14 10:13:47

These men seem incredibly naive wrt all the prostitutes that they have encountered are happy to do it.

Sigh.

Bragadocia Mon 17-Mar-14 10:20:26

I'm really disturbed that they say they have been concerned that some women they've encountered may have been trafficked, but didn't say that that prevented them having sex at that time.

SabrinaMulhollandJjones Mon 17-Mar-14 12:06:07

Made for grim listening, didn't it.

minnehaha Mon 17-Mar-14 12:43:51

They were representative of the vast majority of clients I saw over the years - ordinary guys with their own reasons for buying, not the body, but the services of a prostitute.

Logg1e Mon 17-Mar-14 16:01:46

I was surprised that the men felt comfortable voicing the opinions they did, especially regarding trafficked women.

WhentheRed Mon 17-Mar-14 17:38:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LauraBridges Mon 17-Mar-14 18:00:02

Plus ca change there then.... They aren't bothered are they, as long as they get what they pay for (and what they pay for is that she goes away at the end as much as that she was there)

minnehaha Mon 17-Mar-14 19:36:40

I keep in touch with a few ladies I met over the years - they'd all be amazed at the naivety and ignorance evident in the views expressed here.

Yes, there may be SOME problems but laws already exist to deal with these. Never mind the majority of men; the vast majority of women I met over a twenty year period were there of their own free will.

You may not like it, but it is how it is.

minnehaha Mon 17-Mar-14 20:07:11

Postscript relevant to the views on prostitution on here....several years ago I was contacted by Eaves and agreed to meet one of their representatives. I was asked about my childhood - my father was much older than my Mum and very Victorian in his attitudes to discipline (he had also been a schoolteacher in the days when corporal punishment was the norm).
I was asked if I thought I had been abused - the interviewer was clearly dying to tick the "yes" box. That's how desperate these folk are to make up statistics that suit their theories.

SabrinaMulhollandJjones Mon 17-Mar-14 20:12:06

Or, maybe people are naturally reticent in talking about childhood abuse? Eaves aren't the only researchers to have found that abuse survivors are over-represented in prostitution.

minnehaha Mon 17-Mar-14 20:17:55

Or rather Eaves aren't the only ones guilty of trying to twist the facts to meet their own agenda....

SabrinaMulhollandJjones Mon 17-Mar-14 20:21:23

Yeah right. Eaves has an agenda of helping women exit prostitution - or even just offering them support if they stay in it. Dreadful agenda.

Whereas organisations like the IUSW are run by the very people who profit from the sex industry - so they must be whiter than white.

WhentheRed Mon 17-Mar-14 20:42:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

WhosLookingAfterCourtney Mon 17-Mar-14 21:59:32

What a disgusting bunch they were.

WhosLookingAfterCourtney Mon 17-Mar-14 22:02:01

I think the points made on the various prostitution threads about making being a punter less socially acceptable are spot on. These men should feel ashamed of themselves, not be justifying themselves on national radio.

FloraFox Tue 18-Mar-14 00:11:16

I got the impression the two older guys would probably think of themselves as nice punters whereas the kerb crawler was more honest, as when says. I'm sure the two older guys think they're a cut above the kerb crawler. They all had had suspicions that some of the women may not be there willingly and none of them had done anything about it. I wonder if any of these women cried.

The one who thought he couldn't be prosecuted was also deluded about that. He said he would carry on because he didn't think he could be prosecuted. I would be surprised if he would feel the same way after a few convictions.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now