Talk

Advanced search

Working mothers of disabled children, a feminist viewpoint?

(10 Posts)
JadedAngel Mon 10-Mar-14 22:45:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FloraFox Mon 10-Mar-14 23:10:31

Yes please, that sounds interesting.

GarthsUncle Tue 11-Mar-14 00:10:47

Yes please.

horsetowater Tue 11-Mar-14 10:49:51

I am a feminist with a disabled child but unfortunately her father is a sexist (disguised until we had children). He works, I don't, it's not healthy.

When I attended a carer course one of the most memorable pieces of advice was to find someone who can look after your child if you have an emergency or if you can't leave work. This emergency person was very hard to find, in most relationships it would be the child's father but in ours it just wasn't worth the battle to force him into taking a day off. When all your friends work, your parents are elderly, paid carers need a regular routine, options are narrow. The process of finding that person was actually a part and prerequisite for the course.

My feminist allegiance has been swept under the carpet as I feel I have no choice about work and what I do. In the end the most positive thing for me was to accept the circumstances and do what I could to ensure my daughter has as much support as possible now which will enable her independence when she reaches the age to leave home.

In the meantime I do a lot of charity work, the odd bits of work from home and spend a lot of time on mumsnet to keep my sanity.

CraigsYummyMummy Tue 11-Mar-14 10:57:43

lol

CaptainHindsight Tue 11-Mar-14 12:10:08

CraigsYummyMummy

WTF? Lol

Waiting on a brain donor are we?

Goblinchild Tue 11-Mar-14 12:11:49

Oh Captain, the poster in question has both a very distinctive profile and a weird thread of their own running. grin

CaptainHindsight Tue 11-Mar-14 16:20:21

Oh i see now.

"Lol"

I consider myself a little offbeat but blimey there really are some odd balls about.

JadedAngel Tue 11-Mar-14 21:22:31

WhentheRed Tue 11-Mar-14 22:28:38

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now