Talk

Advanced search

What boxes does Rachel Rliey tick to present BBC Breakfast?

(10 Posts)
kim147 Mon 10-Mar-14 10:04:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

JeanSeberg Mon 10-Mar-14 15:55:36

Are Turbull and Reid journalists (ie preparing and researching articles) or just presenters? The job title would suggest the latter.

I've no idea who Rachel Riley is but upon googling her see she has previous presenting experience.

Why the thread in AIBU? Are you implying she only got the job cos she's young and pretty?

thatstoast Mon 10-Mar-14 16:41:49

It's interesting that you've reposted in this section as I thought your comments in Aibu seemed sexist.

Are there any men working at the BBC who you think aren't suitably qualified? Or are they not held up to as much scrutiny?

She's an intelligent person who is enjoyable to watch. I think she's a good presenter and don't see why she wouldn't be able to do the job. It's BBC breakfast, not newsnight.

whatdoesittake48 Mon 10-Mar-14 16:45:07

I think that would be almost entirely the reason she got/could get the job and it is very sad...she is bright, but hasn't got the credibility some other woman have. This isn't a frivolous role - this should be proper journalism...do they even need a woman? - just get two men to p[resent together. in fact, just get the best person for the job.

I had heard gabby Logan was being considered and she would be a much better candidate - older, more experienced and with plenty of journalistic experience.

the fact is that bill Turnbull is not exactly a great presenter - he doesn't appear especially informed or even very clever. But they will always pair him with a young beautiful woman. this is how TV works.

kim147 Mon 10-Mar-14 16:47:30

kim147 Mon 10-Mar-14 17:49:55

AnswersThroughHaiku Mon 10-Mar-14 18:17:26

Does a presenter
Need journalistic knowledge?
They don't write the script.

DoctorTwo Mon 10-Mar-14 19:03:50

If they have to employ a pretty woman alongside Bill Turnbull who is also a journalist they could employ Polly Boiko, Laura Smith or Sara Firth who all work for RT. Or Abby Martin. In fact, I'd love to see Abby at the BBC, given her attitude to being told what to say! grin

JeanSeberg Mon 10-Mar-14 19:08:47

But these people aren't journalists are they?

kim147 Mon 10-Mar-14 20:02:45

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now