Talk

Advanced search

Even a pub quiz can be sexist

(23 Posts)
itshardthinkingofanickname Mon 24-Feb-14 14:01:17

Pub quiz last night. Picture round on Queens.
So picture of Queen Elizabeth 1st, a foreign Monarch.
Then - Boudica - wearing virtually no clothes on a chariot, breasts seemingly enlarged with her female companions in a state of undress.

Queen of Sheba - plenty of pictures to download. Went for the overtly undressed, breasts fully exposed one.

Several more Queens from films and stories - all in a state of near nakedness plus some highly "artistic" impressions of breasts which were all exposed and enlarged.

My male "friend" said "and?" when I pointed this out to him. Somehow I can't imagine similar pictures if Kings were being talked about.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ParsleyTheLioness Mon 24-Feb-14 14:07:52

So frustrating when they do the "so" or "and" response. Deliberate passive agressive refusing to address the issue...

itshardthinkingofanickname Mon 24-Feb-14 14:13:10

"So pictures of Queen Elizabeth 1st, a foreign Monarch etc"

Edited!!

How do you argue with "and"?

You know you get those "fantasy" style pictures - that seems to have been where the guy got them from.

nicename Mon 24-Feb-14 14:17:34

I had never thought of that. You never see Kind Alfred in a loincloth do you?

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

itshardthinkingofanickname Mon 24-Feb-14 14:34:36

Boudica

[http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Cv34HZX8xMo/UAqfxYsajLI/AAAAAAAACI4/HVySuBps6fE/s1600/boudica.jpg]]

or

img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20101019233305/deadliestfiction/images/0/06/Boudica.jpg

Which one did he choose?

itshardthinkingofanickname Mon 24-Feb-14 14:35:09

Sorry

This one

3.bp.blogspot.com/-Cv34HZX8xMo/UAqfxYsajLI/AAAAAAAACI4/HVySuBps6fE/s1600/boudica.jpg

ParsleyTheLioness Mon 24-Feb-14 14:37:04

The 'and' is a stone-walling tactic, to stop you discussing it. They can't be that thick they can't see your point.

msrisotto Mon 24-Feb-14 14:37:56

Are you joking nickname?? Was that really the image in the pub quiz??

itshardthinkingofanickname Mon 24-Feb-14 14:38:51

That was the image.

I will try to find the others. (Could be hard as we didn't do very well on that round)

itshardthinkingofanickname Mon 24-Feb-14 14:40:22

The Queen of Sheba

fc09.deviantart.net/fs50/i/2009/274/1/4/Queen_of_Sheba_by_Elf_Fin.jpg

itshardthinkingofanickname Mon 24-Feb-14 14:41:32

The Queen of Hearts

th06.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/i/2011/151/a/f/queen_of_hearts_by_vassya-d3hr2t4.jpg

Callani Mon 24-Feb-14 14:48:06

Aside from anything else, the lack of historical accuracy is incredibly frustrating.

Why does anyone think Boudica walked round naked? This was a woman who led 100,000 men against the Romans to protect her kingdom and avenge the rape of her daughters and killed herself rather than be captured by the men she despised - I highly doubt she'd be happy with being portrayed as wank fodder...

tracypenisbeaker Mon 24-Feb-14 14:48:58

Ridiculous. I could sort of get why you would want slightly different pictures to make it more visually interesting and fun, e.g brighter colours, modern takes on what they may look like, but these are far too over the top. These are meant to be strong, practical women, yet that just isn't good enough, is it? It's almost like to counteract those traits, they need to be put down a peg or two and the men need reassurance that they are still 'silly, sexy girls playing at being men.'

itshardthinkingofanickname Mon 24-Feb-14 15:03:08

If I was going to do the Queen of Hearts, I could probably find something from Alice in Wonderland and not that picture.

ReadyToPopAndFresh Mon 24-Feb-14 15:12:20

urrgh

Callani Mon 24-Feb-14 15:16:23

I think that tracy has summed it up perfectly - can we summarise what you've said so next time this topic comes up there's a pithy retort to the "and?" or "so?"

msrisotto Mon 24-Feb-14 15:20:04

How god awful.

itshardthinkingofanickname Mon 24-Feb-14 15:30:27

It could easily have been perfectly normal pictures of queens - historic and fictional.

Bifauxnen Mon 24-Feb-14 16:34:21

and it's obviously sexist you dinlo
Not sure how to respond other than to spell it out clearly so it's harder to dodge.

Bue Tue 25-Feb-14 15:25:11

At my pub quiz we had a picture round recently with half covered faces of celebrities/well known individuals etc. Out of about 25, I think 2 were women and both of those were of the 'young and very buxom' variety. I was fuming and I wish I had said something to the organizer. I did let the rest of my team (all male but me) know rather vociferously that I wasn't impressed and they completely agreed.

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Tue 25-Feb-14 19:22:44

Fucking hell.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now