Talk

Advanced search

Sad reality of public opinion?

(5 Posts)
soapboxqueen Wed 19-Feb-14 09:04:31

I know I should know better but i think i hoped that most people had more sense.

A friend of mine has been in the paper recently and apart from the poor reporting, the messages left in the comments section have really made me feel down. Pretty much every comment is about how women are getting away with too much or are based in sex when the case has nothing to do with it. The few people who have read and understood the report properly get 100s of dislikes because they disagree with the idea that women should know their place.

Don't get me wrong. I didn't expect all of the comments to be in agreement. Not by a long shot. I just didnt expect it to turn into a mass agreement that women should just stay out of things and sexual inuendo. The comments starting "Well i'm a feminist but..." really made me feel sad.

Tell me its ok to feel sad but that my expectations of the public were too high.

southeastastra Wed 19-Feb-14 09:13:21

blimey wasn't daily mail was it?

Ballsballsballs Wed 19-Feb-14 09:13:43

It's okay to feel crappy about this kind of thing. Have you seen the 'being a feminist makes me feel sad' thread? You are not alone.

soapboxqueen Wed 19-Feb-14 09:16:22

Yes but a few others too. I know it happens and there have been some high profile ones too. It just seems so rediculous that people think this way, and so many too.

soapboxqueen Wed 19-Feb-14 09:18:05

Sorry *ridiculous

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now