Talk

Advanced search

Barbie strikes back: unapologetic about being beautiful and successful

(13 Posts)
ashesgirl Tue 18-Feb-14 20:11:21

http://www.barbiecollector.com/news/barbie-swimsuit-barbie-oped

Mattel have published Barbie's opinion piece on her appearance in Sports Illustrated as a swimwear model. She offers no apologies and says girls can be beautiful AND successful.

What do you think of Mattel's stance here?

ashesgirl Tue 18-Feb-14 20:12:04

www.barbiecollector.com/news/barbie-swimsuit-barbie-oped

Blistory Tue 18-Feb-14 20:37:25

Barbie would appear to buy into the idea that feminism is about choice and not a lot else.

Sorry but I'm a bit distracted by 'her' continual reference to herself as a girl. Perhaps if she was prepared to own her age and not patronise other 'girls' I might be prepared to have a theoretical discussion with her.

I think the notion that we should all cheer that women can be beautiful AND successful sucks, quite frankly. I'd prefer that women could be left the feck alone to concentrate on being successful rather than having to be beautiful with it.

And when Barbie wants to share her opinions on feminism rather than feminism lite, I'll be happy to hear her views on DV, rape, FGM etc.

Until then, the article's no more than a piece of fluff masquerading as the view of an enlightened woman, or girl as the case may apparently be.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

whatdoesittake48 Wed 19-Feb-14 14:11:47

FFS it is a doll - she/it doesn't represent anything other than a representation of how doll makers think little girls or women should look or want to look.

Don't try to give a lump of plastic a political role - it is pretty much ridiculous.

poor gilrs these days. thank goodness my daughter hated barbie - they got chucked out as soon as she had cut off the hair and plastered their faces with permanent marker...

SinisterSal Wed 19-Feb-14 14:34:12

Who needs to apologise for being beautiful and successful? Thats' the gold standard surely. Which we will all fail at, by Barbie's lights, not being 7ft with an 18 inch waist and not having a pink convertible confused

NiceTabard Wed 19-Feb-14 21:45:32

I always fail to understand why females "celebrating who they are" so often involves them taking their clothes off so men can look at them.

Also the juxtaposition of saying girls can do whatever they want ie little girls who play with dolls, and it is positive to be photographed in swimwear and then published in magazines full of similar pictures.... They seem to be implying (and I'm fairly sure they don't mean to) that little girls should be photographed in swimsuits and the pictures should be published in magazines in the way the sports illustrated pictures are. Weird.

NiceTabard Wed 19-Feb-14 21:47:03

Oh and yes of course the article is bollocks.

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Thu 20-Feb-14 00:20:39

Do y'all remember when someone wrote an article about Steve Jobs being handsome and successful? And there was that great piece about Richard Branson's snappy business sense and even snappier dress sense. And let's not forget the "NASDAQ and Nail Varnish" piece about Mark Zuckerberg.

They all appeared in the Planet Mattel newspaper...

ashesgirl Thu 20-Feb-14 11:05:21

Yes I remember those Doctrine grin

msrisotto Thu 20-Feb-14 16:35:59

Barbie is not a real person. This is nothing but a publicity stunt, probably conducted by men in a mens mag. Ooh revolutionary.

whatdoesittake48 Fri 21-Feb-14 11:19:14

Did feminism really happen? - I think I dreamt it....

ashesgirl Sat 01-Mar-14 12:05:38

Couple of people on here have said it's just a plastic doll.

This article looks at the wider issue

www.theguardian.com/sustainable-business/barbie-sports-illustrated-challenge-gender-marketing-children

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now