Talk

Advanced search

Time wasting sexist man!

(23 Posts)
JonSnowKnowsNothing Tue 18-Feb-14 14:09:57

I needed to go into school today to do a bit of work. Got there early, opened up, etc. During the morning the cleaners and site supervisor arrived too.
Workman from over the road bangs on the outside door near my classroom. "Hello love, who's in charge?"
"I am. Can I help you?"
"Er...is there not a site supervisor about?" (Didn't twig that he really meant is there a man about)
"Yes, I'll go and find him." (Thinking it was something to do with his area of expertise.)
I finally manage to find the site supervisor, interrupt his work and drag him to the other end of the school.
Work man says "alright there mate, mind if I fill this container with water?"

Is it me or is this a completely twattish waste of my time?? The SS is switched on bloke and knew I was irritated. I said "I'm so glad you were here to sort this out, Mr. J." And walked off annoyed.

whatdoesittake48 Tue 18-Feb-14 14:14:00

You might be reading more into this than there actually is. I don't see the bit where the guy says "is there not a man about?"

Maybe the guy just thought you weren't the right person to talk to - male or female.

Mind you, I wasn't there - he might have given ff other signals.

JonSnowKnowsNothing Tue 18-Feb-14 14:17:15

But why did he need to find someone else to ask once he'd ascertained he was speaking to the person "in charge?" It did irritate me to be honest.

LisaAYarrow Tue 18-Feb-14 14:20:26

Yeah I'd be annoyed too. His problem though, not yours!

NiceTabard Tue 18-Feb-14 16:38:16

He thought that you weren't qualified enough to advise him whether he could come in and use a tap?

YANBU.

JonSnowKnowsNothing Tue 18-Feb-14 19:07:21

Exactly, NiceTabard. I felt a right prat actually!

MajorGrinch Tue 18-Feb-14 19:52:44

He might have been bitten in the past when someone not the Site Supervisor told him he could do something & then the actual Site Supervisor got arsey...

Or his boss might just have said "ask the Site Supervisor".....

NiceTabard Wed 19-Feb-14 00:13:00

How many schools even have a person called "site supervisor"???

I think that is a weak explanation.

He only needed a tap FFS. And maybe had grotty boots.

OMG clearly OP unable, as person in charge, to communicate and pass judgement on entry and tap usage.

I love the way people are grasping at straws here grin

MajorGrinch Wed 19-Feb-14 08:51:15

Well, this school obviously does!! & Perhaps the workmen have been told to deal with him directly.

We are talking about a manual labourer here - not paid to think out of the box & (probably) not the sharpest tool in the shed. He'll do what he's told, no more, no less...

MajorGrinch Wed 19-Feb-14 09:06:18

Although, reading what I wrote above & thinking about it - I think you are right - he was just being a sexist twat. All the brickies, chippies etc. I've dealt with have been terrible for it....

JonSnowKnowsNothing Wed 19-Feb-14 09:35:08

Thanks for the comments,
FTR, the tap was an outside tap, literally feet from the door he was standing by. Sorry for drip feeding that! I accept he could have been specifically told to ask for the SS (yes, I think that is his correct title!) but really...!
I genuinely don't wander round looking to be offended, but in this situation I just got such a strong feeling he wanted to talk to a man as man = in charge.

TheCrackFox Wed 19-Feb-14 09:47:16

MajorGrinch- your comments are disgustingly snobby. Very unpleasant.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

JonSnowKnowsNothing Wed 19-Feb-14 10:58:21

Oh dear God, Buffy! grin

EduCated Wed 19-Feb-14 12:26:16

If he'd asked for the site supervisor in te first place, fair enough. But he didn't. He asked who was on charge, but then decided that wasn't enough when the OP declared it to be her.

NiceTabard Wed 19-Feb-14 19:28:24

I'm really taken aback by major Grinch's comments about "manual workers". What an appalling attitude!

MomentForLife Wed 19-Feb-14 19:35:30

You were lucky the nice man was on hand to help you out with the tap dilemma OP grin

samandi Thu 20-Feb-14 10:11:41

What would he have done if there hadn't been a man around? Gone elsewhere? :-)

ReadyToPopAndFresh Thu 20-Feb-14 10:33:41

We are talking about a manual labourer here - not paid to think out of the box & (probably) not the sharpest tool in the shed. He'll do what he's told, no more, no less...

Hmmm so training for a job you are good at and getting paid to do so makes you not the sharpest tool in the shed? Nah, you're being a snobby arse

OP yanbu,

whatdoesittake48 Thu 20-Feb-14 14:40:19

My husband is a "manual worker" tradesman or whatever you want to call it. he is also very sharp, quick witted, intelligent, caring, lovely, intuitive and not sexist...

I think in this case the guy just wanted to get it right and not bother the OP with the question. I don't see anything ulterior.

Pendeen Fri 21-Feb-14 14:47:51

Yes, I thought that about the comment from ReadyToPopAndFresh as well...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now