Talk

Advanced search

Delurking for a rant.....

(9 Posts)
ValentinesMassacred Sat 15-Feb-14 16:51:55

And namechanged for this.

In the early hours of this morning mine and DH's cars (parked) were involved in a serious collision. Obviously the most important thing is that no one was hurt, even the drunken twat driver, but still very upsetting, major inconvenience etc as both are probably write offs.

However, the worst and most infuriating part of the whole thing was the 45 mins I spent giving a statement to the absolute cock of a policeman who attended. In that time he managed to call me young lady at least half a dozen times (I'm in my 50s), tell me he had 3 'parasites' at home (his wife & children), and be offensive about the fact that my car is newish, sporty and a bit nice (not amazing) whereas DH has an elderly diesel hatchback - he couldn't get his head round that one at all, patronised me and belittled DH, I'm a lucky girl apparently and as for DH 'letting the wife' drive around in a better car than him.....obviously beyond his comprehension that a woman could be capable of buying such a thing. What a total twat, I want to complain, but is there honestly any point?

scallopsrgreat Sat 15-Feb-14 19:03:08

Oh god! You have my sympathies. Not sure there is much point. You might want to make an indirect point if you need to talk to them again by insisting you speak to someone other than him?

Disheartening isn't it that men still think like that. And don't get me started on the 'young lady' bollocks. I bet you were older than him. Patronising sod.

ihatethecold Sat 15-Feb-14 19:45:42

What a knobhead!

VegetariansTasteLikeChicken Sat 15-Feb-14 20:19:16

what a loser hmm

LRDtheFeministDragon Sat 15-Feb-14 20:22:05

shock

What a twit.

I don't know what'd happen if you complained but it might make you feel better, if nothing else.

ValentinesMassacred Sat 15-Feb-14 22:21:30

Indeed it would. Still very angry

derailleurondebike Sat 15-Feb-14 22:45:42

The police have a statutory responsibility to treat everyone fairly, and certainly withing the equalities act, which this bloke didn't and very likely doesn't. I bet you wouldn't be the first to complain, and if his 'superiors' wish to do something about him they need evidence. And that evidence will come from things like formal complaints. So really it's up to you.

Creeping Sat 15-Feb-14 23:25:40

I think the more people point out the every sexism, the more people are educated and the less acceptable it becomes. I know, ever the optimist!

I think it is worthwhile complaining to his superior about the way he talked to you. If he/she is a twat as well, they'll have a laugh at your expense, but if he/she isn't, perhaps it will be pointed out to him that this is not the way to speak to the public, or at least he/she may be more aware of it and will speak up when it happens again.

You've got nothing to lose. You'll not be in contact with them again, hopefully. I would say, go for it. Make an issue of it.

VegetariansTasteLikeChicken Sun 16-Feb-14 08:21:34

Could you walk in to the station..and look for a women officer? She's at least likely to have heard him be a twat before..may even enjoy taking your complaint grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now