Talk

Advanced search

Woman wins OLympic gold was far down news items yesterday...

(3 Posts)
AntlersInAllOfMyDecorating Sat 15-Feb-14 12:00:44

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

GreenShadow Sat 15-Feb-14 15:27:13

Oh, yes Antlers, I was very surprised last night that the Yarnold wasn't, if not top story, then very close behind.

grimbletart Sat 15-Feb-14 18:33:53

I thought it was covered OK actually, but as I normally watch the 24 hour rolling news rather than the 6 or 10pm slots I may be wrong. You couldn't expect it to top the floods story, though it should have topped that knobber Piers Morgan, whose police questioning was actually an old story badly disguised as topical.

But what a role model for women Lizzy is. Loved to hear the British skeleton coachers (men) saying she won because she was so focused, trained harder and longer and lifted heavier weights than anyone else.

Every time I see a woman do something that requires strength, focus and real courage like skeleton slide I cheer because it bangs a nail into the coffin of sexism and misogyny that spreads the myth that women are feeble little things that should be protected from anything exciting or dangerous: and winter Olympics are dangerous. I see Maria Komissarova broke her back today in training for ski cross, though thankfully a six hour operation was successful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now