Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to wonder what the actual fuck Mattell were thinking?

(7 Posts)
VegetariansTasteLikeChicken Wed 12-Feb-14 10:04:45

www.nytimes.com/2014/02/12/business/media/barbies-sports-illustrated-swimsuit-issue-causes-a-stir-online.html?_r=0

I am not sure if the UK lot will know what Sports Illustrated is or not, but every year they have a "swimsuit"issue. Where famous women (models actresses) pose in swimsuits or parts of swim suits with hands or paint covering specific parts of their body.

Well guess who is making it to their 50th edition!?
I feel sick, men will be looking at sexalised pictures of women while looking at their daughter's toy next to it.

Should we see if we can get her on Page 3 too? confused

Barbie are #unapologetic about it all apparently.

MatildaWhispers Wed 12-Feb-14 10:38:12

I am not familiar with Sports Illustrated, but this seems like an odd brand link up. I can see what Mattel are hoping they will gain by linking Barbie with these famous/attractive women who are also supposedly strong career women too. But surely as a brand they have far more to lose given the history of criticism of Barbie as an unachievable body shape/role model.

whatdoesittake48 Wed 12-Feb-14 12:08:04

yep - what were they thinking, indeed. My guess? money....sex sells. it makes me sick.

VegetariansTasteLikeChicken Wed 12-Feb-14 12:43:07

But does sex sell children's toys? I'm totally thrown by it. I can't see it making little girls want it. I can't see it making mothers think it's an appropriate role model. And I cant see it making dads feel anything but uncomfortable. I just think someone misunderstood the "any publicity is good publicity" saying. confused Dd has never been a "girly" girl but if she said she wanted a Barbie I would have bought her one..Now? Not if it was the only toy in the shop.

StickEmUpBigStyle Wed 12-Feb-14 21:31:51

Very peady sorry

CaptChaos Wed 12-Feb-14 22:17:33

That's just ick.

I'm not sure SI is all that interested in whether the women they show pictures of in their swimsuit edition are strong career or anything else women, all they care about is that they look good in a swimsuit or bits of swimsuits. They have this in common with most lad's mags (except this one is supposed to be for men, which makes the whole, 'let's have a plastic doll in a swimsuit' thing even more ick.

It becomes even worse the longer you think about it really envy

Branleuse Wed 12-Feb-14 22:19:52

i think its fab. i want them!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now