Talk

Advanced search

The Feminist Pub Mark, um, V? Anyway, come in and chat.

(1000 Posts)

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

bonesarecoralmade Wed 19-Mar-14 21:13:50

Good point about the water Buffy. i have been trying today but it's hard in interviews.

It's the sleep really. I feel like one child after another gets ill and cranky at night. One is wailing now and I was hoping for at least a window of rest before the inevitable waking later, shit shit shit have to go now

UptoapointLordCopper Wed 19-Mar-14 19:20:45

buffy I've heard proposal to decide funding by lottery. What do you think of that? Right now it's a bit like lottery anyway. If it is really lottery then at least you don't have to feel inferior.

UptoapointLordCopper Wed 19-Mar-14 19:19:16

I have a headache. sad

So am trying to distract myself by thinking about what to cook for MIL on mother's day. grin Chocolate crumble pear tart, I'm thinking...

legoplayingmumsunite Wed 19-Mar-14 18:25:06

Silly question, but are you drinking enough water?

I think sleep is the answer for all parents of toddlers. I was talking to a woman at work today who has been married 1 year, no kids. She'd had to pick up some relatives from the airport and was complaining she was tired, she'd had 7.5h sleep. She was horrified when I told her how little I sleep. Do you remember all the stuff in the 80s about Margaret Thatcher only having 4h sleep a night and depending on the politics of the people commenting on it it was either an example of how she was mad or wonderful. Now I think it was just because after raising twins she had adjusted to functioning on half full. I bet if you spoke to most parents their sleep would be well below the 'ideal' of 8h a night. I can't actually sleep that much any more. If I go to bed in the early evening in an attempt to catch up on my sleep I inevitably wake up at 2am and can't get back to sleep again (because I've already had 5-6h sleep) and so am even more exhausted the next day.

EEatingSoupForLunch Wed 19-Mar-14 11:14:46

Bones I feel for you. If you have leave to take, just book some now and give yourself a break. You sound well overdue a recharge. thanks

PenguinsEatSpinach Wed 19-Mar-14 11:06:52

Bones sad You need some time off.

UptoapointLordCopper Wed 19-Mar-14 10:42:41

SoupForLunch That must be it! grin

Buffy Am considering it.

EEatingSoupForLunch Wed 19-Mar-14 10:36:29

I can't really participate in pub action as I'm getting over pneumonia. But I have two black cats and can confirm that, if placed anywhere in the vicinity of a box, their response will be to get in and fall asleep. Could this be where the dead/alive confusion comes from? wink

UptoapointLordCopper Wed 19-Mar-14 10:20:16

buffy grin

But I would expect some evidence to support the "probably not".

I'm thinking about writing a paper to tell people that they don't need a new solution for a particular situation because they can reuse the ones from another situation. But I doubt it will be publishable. hmm

UptoapointLordCopper Wed 19-Mar-14 10:07:45

Quite Doctrine. We do MD for MIL because she's lovely and I think it would be awful not to do it. Just because - I'm sure you know why. My kids would probably do a card from school. But that's quite enough for me.

I'm a treat-me-with-respect-every-fucking-day sort of a woman, not a be-nice-to-me-on-special-occasion type.

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Wed 19-Mar-14 10:04:51

How's #Rage2014 going for you, LordC? grin

(PS I agree. But grumpy whingers mean "their" mums by Mothering Sunday, not "other" mums who have the temerity to be women whose lives don't revolve around said grumpy whingers)

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Wed 19-Mar-14 09:45:20

Please take a day off this week or next, sick day if you have to. flowers

UptoapointLordCopper Wed 19-Mar-14 09:44:40

Can I also moan about Mother's Day because everyone I know in RL will think I'm bitter and twisted? I hate Mother's Day. All year long they demonise women and mothers - the latest thing I read being that the world would be a better place if mothers didn't put their children in forward-facing pushchairs while wittering away on the phone - and for one fucking day they go "awwww, aren't mothers great?" I HATE the whole card-manufacturing world, and every marketing agency, and every unthinking bastard who spouts nonsense like this. I would like to tell them to FTFOAWTGTFOSM.

There.

Now I'm going to work.

hmm

UptoapointLordCopper Wed 19-Mar-14 09:38:02

Buffy Example of successful grant application.

bonesarecoralmade Wed 19-Mar-14 09:27:08

Poor Penguins.

Crap night sleep here too. I can't remember the last time I slept through without someone waking me up. dd2 last night, getting the filthy virus dd1 had last week.

I feel spaced out with panic. people keep trying to talk to me about things I just cannot deal with at the moment. because they aren't my job, or because even if they technically are, they are so far down the list of priorities, I begrudge even the effort needed to pleasantly stall.

I really need to sleep. And I really need some space to think. I feel absolutely desperate.
Interviewing today. That fills me with dread. I am not ready, I was supposed to have prepared a task. That is ok, I can pull that together in the next 15 mins, but what is panicking me is that they are a bunch of students as my company is so cheap and I am afraid I am going to have a huge emotional reaction of desperation at6 needing staff and being offered inexperienced people who need mentoring and hand holding. I don't have it in me right now.

Even if I just resign I am on 3 months notice and will have to turn up and be hectored about all this shite for 3 months (although I could take some holiday and actually take it for a change)

I am so burnt out I am beyond even working out how to deal with the burn out

sorry to come on here and wibble I just need to get it out before I fake competence for day of meetings

PenguinsEatSpinach Wed 19-Mar-14 09:24:02

Thanks Buffy. DH has actually done the school run, so you know, not all bad smile

PenguinsEatSpinach Wed 19-Mar-14 09:23:17

Thanks Doctrine. I will witter if small person gives me a chance to listen to any smile

It isn't actually that bad LRD. Just feeling a bit sorry for myself this morning, as I tend to when I am tired.

Hope you all have fabulous days. Achieve something out there in the big wide world for me. I'll join you out there in a couple of years!

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Wed 19-Mar-14 09:19:59

I will listen to you about the budget, Penguins.

Which reminds me I have a pension thing to do before the end of the tax year.

<adds that to list>

LRDtheFeministDragon Wed 19-Mar-14 09:13:07

Oh, that sounds rotten penguins.

PenguinsEatSpinach Wed 19-Mar-14 09:11:18

Oh, and dying a little of jealousy as DH gets to talk budget all over twitter and on the phone for work (working from home). I was never interested in the budget when I was working because I never had time to pay proper attention and it impacted minimally on my work. Now I just want to do anything where I get to be a grown up and people listen to me!

PenguinsEatSpinach Wed 19-Mar-14 09:09:21

Argh, I want your days. Can we swap?

Horrid night of sleep where I woke up every 45 minutes in pain in my hip. And with only a month and a half to go, turning over each time is a massive event involving sitting up and the swapping around of pillows.

Today I am taking a small child to toddler gym class, collecting a big kid from school and I'm not sure what else.

This thread is not accepting new messages.