Talk

Advanced search

Women's ski jump

(9 Posts)
grimbletart Tue 11-Feb-14 14:09:30

www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/winter-olympics/26099803

At last the Winter Olympics is staggering reluctantly towards the 21st century with ski jumping for women included for the first time (though the Nordic combined is still thought too much for us feeble little girlies).

It was as recently as 2005 that the dinosaurpresident of the International Ski Federation said: "Don't forget, it's like jumping down from, let's say, about two metres on the ground about a thousand times a year, which seems not to be appropriate for ladies from a medical point of view."

This prompted American ski jumper Lindsey Van to say: "I kind of want to vomit," she said. "Like, really? I'm sorry, but my baby-making organs are on the inside. Men have an organ on the outside.

"So if it's not safe for me jumping down, then my uterus is going to fall out, what about the organ on the outside of the body?"

Well precisely!

PenguinsDontEatKale Tue 11-Feb-14 14:37:03

Ha ha, go Lindsey!

Women don't do the, what's it called, double luge, either do they? The one where they lie on top of each other.

Freyalright Tue 11-Feb-14 15:45:01

It's about time. They should go off the same height jump IMO. Being lighter, possible, would produce some huge jumps.

eurochick Tue 11-Feb-14 15:47:48

Go Lindsey! Wot a twonk the ISF president sounds.

BetterWithCheese Tue 11-Feb-14 16:40:28

The final is on tonight at 6.30pm. I'll be watching. Can't believe it's taken this long.

DoctorTwo Tue 11-Feb-14 17:06:19

I think it's great women are doing this. This Olympiad also had the first womens' snowboard slopestyle too. <gratuitous congrats to Jenny Jones>

scallopsrgreat Tue 11-Feb-14 18:19:20

Remind me again what century we're in?

Well said Lindsey Van. I'm going to make special effort to watch it now.

DoctorTwo Tue 11-Feb-14 19:09:01

That was brilliant. What a fantastic contest.

newbieman1978 Tue 11-Feb-14 19:49:20

It was a very good competition, I watched every bit of it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now