Talk

Advanced search

feminists or sexual objects

(23 Posts)
karenyellow Sun 09-Feb-14 13:35:34

Hi guys-
I was wondering about what your thoughts are about how female artists go around "twerking" and dances provocatively on stage and in music videos. Are they being feminists claiming their sexuality or are portraying themselves as sexual objects?

BriarRainbowshimmer Sun 09-Feb-14 13:42:28

Hi dude - since you signed up to ask us this, maybe tell us your opinion first?

karenyellow Sun 09-Feb-14 13:47:34

I personally believe they are claiming their sexuality, something every woman is entitled to do. But my friend highly disagrees with me and is saying it objectifies women :/

g1233 Sun 09-Feb-14 13:58:17

really? I would never say that girls are sexually objectified by dancing in a particular way, but whatever. that's just me

grin

JonSnowKnowsNothing Sun 09-Feb-14 14:02:43

What does "claiming their sexuality" actually mean though?
I don't go around twerking or dancing provocatively....do I not have a sexuality? [comfused]

JonSnowKnowsNothing Sun 09-Feb-14 14:02:59

[andunabletospell]

MothratheMighty Sun 09-Feb-14 14:06:22

This is one of those Third wave Feminism debates, isn't it?

LRDtheFeministDragon Sun 09-Feb-14 14:13:58

Why are you only focussing on the women?

Feminism is (IMO) about social structures.

KerryKatonasKhakis Sun 09-Feb-14 14:16:08

I'd say they're doing what they can to be rich and successful in a patriarchy.

Don't think it's promoting feminism, don't think it's about their own sexuality...think it's mostly about money/fame/gaining male approval/attention and enjoyment.

Can't say I think it's great for feminism but I completely understand why women do it and don't blame them for it.

VegetariansTasteLikeChicken Sun 09-Feb-14 14:22:03

Don't think it's promoting feminism, don't think it's about their own sexuality...think it's mostly about money/fame/gaining male approval/attention and enjoyment.

Yes to that

scallopsrgreat Sun 09-Feb-14 14:46:47

Yes I'd like to know what claiming their sexuality is and how twerking achieves this too Jon Snow.

Also is it really their sexuality they are trying to claim or men's version of sexuality?

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

scallopsrgreat Mon 10-Feb-14 12:48:38

Thats a much better question all round Buffy

VegetariansTasteLikeChicken Mon 10-Feb-14 12:58:32

i imagine it's all the things we've been told are bad. Which is why we were told them they were bad in the first place.

I bet it's quite slutty fun. grin

KerryKatonasKhakis Mon 10-Feb-14 13:24:29

Less posing, less pouting, less performance I'd imagine...good question.

PenguinsDontEatKale Mon 10-Feb-14 13:30:37

It is amazing how often "claiming her sexuality' for a woman means provocatively displaying herself to a group of the opposite sex. And how rarely a man claims their sexuality that way...

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

crescentmoon Mon 10-Feb-14 16:45:49

just delurking to say this is actually what Ariel Levy examines in her book 'Female Chauvinist Pig'.

(some quotes here.)

AMumInScotland Mon 10-Feb-14 17:04:47

Does dressing and dancing provocatively increase their sexual pleasure? Or that of the men who are watching? Since I suspect it is largely the second, I don't think they are doing it to 'claim their sexuality', they are doing it because it sells records and is expected.

Does it increase the sexual choices of young women watching, or increase pressure on them to behave in a way which pleases men more than it pleases them? Again, I think it's the second.

Does it encourage young men to be positive and supportive of the young women they meet, and to treat them as equals in the bedroom and out of it? Or does it encourage them to think that young women's main role in life is to make men happy? Guess what, I'm going with the second again...

scallopsrgreat Mon 10-Feb-14 17:15:53

Thanks crescentmoon for the link.

I suspect that whatever female sexuality looks like come the revolution it wouldn't involve dildos! (just putting it out there!) Or twerking for that matter (to keep on topic). In fact it is probably easier to say what it wouldn't be!

VegetariansTasteLikeChicken Mon 10-Feb-14 17:18:00

I suspect that whatever female sexuality looks like come the revolution it wouldn't involve dildos!

I respectfully disagree! blush

scallopsrgreat Mon 10-Feb-14 17:21:09

There are some great quotes from that list that crescentmoon linked to:

Why is this the 'new feminism' and not what it looks like: the old objectification?

Even if you are a woman who achieves the ultimate and becomes like a man, you will still always be like a woman. And as long as womanhood is thought of as something to escape from, something less than manhood, you will be thought less of, too.

upperclassswag Mon 17-Mar-14 10:24:54

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now