Talk

Advanced search

princess theme parties!

(7 Posts)
lizzie479 Sat 08-Feb-14 21:42:31

My daughter who is five has been invited to a couple of these. She is not interested in princesses. Today she was sent home with a mini make up kit from a princess party and I wondered how this is considered okay for five year olds these days when I absolutely hate it!

EEatingSoupForLunch Sat 08-Feb-14 23:12:02

I'm with you, it's insidious. I give excuses to as many parties as possible. But then I am also quite anti-social!

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Sun 09-Feb-14 08:56:32

I "lose" most party bag toys on principle anywsy!

WidowWadman Sun 09-Feb-14 11:01:49

My daughter was given several make-up kits for her 5th birthday - from people who don't know us that well (class birthday party) and for Christmas from people who do.

Wasn't happy at all. But by letting her play freely with it, they were used up in one afternoon...

TheSmallClanger Sun 09-Feb-14 11:52:18

It's the ubiquity of pink princess shite that's the problem.
One princess party with makeup, amongst many different parties (space? animal? magic?) would be far less of an issue. It's strangling little girls' imagination and narrowing what is acceptable with their peers.

anothernumberone Sun 09-Feb-14 11:54:17

Thankfully the only themed parties my dds seemed to have early I were Dora ones. I think Dora makes a great young feminist role model.

VegetariansTasteLikeChicken Sun 09-Feb-14 17:28:03

make up for a 5 year old? urgh

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now