Talk

Advanced search

Veganism & Feminism

(48 Posts)
fembow Mon 03-Feb-14 01:00:03

Over a billion people could be fed with just the grain that is fed to livestock in United States alone. (cattle, pigs, chickens, etc)

About 8 million people starve to death each year, so that's somewhere around 4 million females (women, children, babies) getting killed off each year due to the inefficiency of 'most' non-vegan diets.

The only exceptions I can think of for non-vegan diets that aren't as harmful, would be people who randomly fish (non-commercially) & people who hunt for their own food. Not that I'd want to support killing animals, but non-commercial fishing/hunting is less damaging to the human population and the environment in general.

Vegan Diet

It's pretty simple. High water content fruits/vegetables/root vegetables/nuts & seeds (hemp hearts/avocados/olives/etc for those who have nut allergies). Cinnamon helps regulate blood sugar levels & citrus (like hot lemon water) aids with the digestion of lipids.

Making sure to get in plenty of clean water & making sure to get in the recommended amount of salt per day (preferably sea salt), as salt is extremely important for digestion (especially for digesting fats). People who exercise need more salt & water on a daily basis.

www.saltinstitute.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Second-QTR-copy-of-digest-absorption.pdf

fembow Mon 03-Feb-14 01:31:06

millions of vegan recipes online for whatever your favourite plant-based foods are

DuskAndShiver Mon 03-Feb-14 09:46:47

People don't starve because there is not enough food in the world. They starve for political reasons. We should work towards justice in distribution of the world's resources.

Grain agriculture is an environmental disaster.

Many people are unwell on a vegan diet.

There is no inherent connection between caring about animals and being female or feminist.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

RayPurchase Mon 03-Feb-14 10:47:09

I fail to see the connection to feminism tbh.

ArtetasSwollenAnkle Mon 03-Feb-14 10:52:51

Buffy, it's not an uncommon train of thought on FWR though. There are other discussions where female suffering is highlighted. I am not sure the OP meant that it didn't matter about the other 50 per cent, just that female suffering is what gets the most attention on FWR.

DuskAndShiver Mon 03-Feb-14 10:57:34

You could make an argument that poverty is a gendered issue in many cases. But it's still an utterly tenuous, well actually spurious, connection between feminism and veganism.

I hate it actually. IT comes up quite often and it seems to me to be based in some unexamined conflation of feminine and feminist; expecting women to exhibit more generally caring behaviour, even caring about fecking animals fgs.

teaandthorazine Mon 03-Feb-14 11:05:58

Totally agree, dusk and buffy.

OP, can you come back and explain your argument a little more? Because at the moment afaics all you've done is put two words ending in 'ism' in the same sentence.

exexpat Mon 03-Feb-14 11:10:04

I don't really see the connection between feminism and veganism, let alone the link to a rather dubious sounding page promoting a high-salt diet.

specialsubject Mon 03-Feb-14 11:17:49

this is hippy-dippy unscientific babble.

no-one on the planet is deficient in salt. Most of us eat too much of it.
strict veganism does not support human life; no source of vitamin B12.

AMumInScotland Mon 03-Feb-14 11:30:32

"The Salt Institute is a North American based non-profit trade association dedicated to advancing the many benefits of salt, particularly to ensure winter roadway safety, quality water and healthy nutrition."

and "A non-profit association of companies that produce and market sodium chloride"

I can't help thinking that this is all a ploy to get a link going between things we are positive about - feminism and veganism (which I am positive about for other people in a general sense...) and people who want to sell us more salt.

Which is weird.

ChunkyPickle Mon 03-Feb-14 11:31:07

It did lead me to google a bit though - according to the internet, New Zealanders and Luxembourgians (errrr..) eat the most meat per person in the world (UK is out of the top 10), Sheep are awesome because the like to eat scrubby stuff from hills (which are no use to anyone else), and since foot and mouth Europe feeds pigs grain rather than slop (which may explain why my FIL complains it's tasteless these days - or that could be his 20/day smoking habit).

Nothing to do with feminism of course, does encourage me to eat more lamb though.

ButICantaloupe Mon 03-Feb-14 11:37:21

I'm vegan and struggle to see the link between veganism and feminism.

confused

CaptChaos Mon 03-Feb-14 14:22:24

I can't have a strict vegan diet, it made me very ill, even with B12 supplements. Does this mean I can't be a feminist anymore?

BriarRainbowshimmer Mon 03-Feb-14 17:52:10

LOL this is so weird. Let's convince feminists to become vegans so we can sell more salt? What?!

PaxmansGusset Mon 03-Feb-14 18:10:42

biscuit

ChokerPips Mon 03-Feb-14 19:09:32

I hate it actually. IT comes up quite often and it seems to me to be based in some unexamined conflation of feminine and feminist; expecting women to exhibit more generally caring behaviour, even caring about fecking animals fgs.

Um, what is wrong with caring about animals? I care about animals. I also care about women. I care about children. I care about any living creature who is suffering and who may (and definitely in the case of animals) lack a voice.

I tend to see people who don't care about animals in the same way as I see people who don't care about women and children, and steer well clear.

ChunkyPickle Mon 03-Feb-14 19:17:16

It's not that we don't care about animals, it's that there's nothing innate in a woman that makes them care more than men, or be more likely to care than men - be that about animals or anything else - but so often it's assumed that as the 'caring sex' you can get us to do anything by emotional blackmail.

Not that caring is bad, or wrong, or that we don't, but we care because we're people, not because we're women.

PaxmansGusset Mon 03-Feb-14 19:59:09

This OP reminds me of something I've read here before.

BriarRainbowshimmer Mon 03-Feb-14 20:50:39

An easy way to get a lot of salt in your diet is to eat a lot of bacon...mmmmm

ChokerPips Mon 03-Feb-14 21:25:37

I understand that Chunky...it was just that the poster I quoted seemed to think caring about animals was ridiculous. Whereas actually I see it as being part of every real and good person's character. If you don't care about animals (when they do SO much for us) then there is something wrong with you.

Just like I see men who abuse women...there is something very wrong there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now