Advanced search

Driven out of my hobby by a stalker

(40 Posts)
DonnyOsmondsTeeth Wed 03-Jul-13 10:40:03

Earlier this year, I decided to pick up an old hobby again.
There are several local meetups that occur each week in different venues for this particular hobby, and through a friend I met a man who I thought was nice and normal.
We decided to work together on an activity and went to a couple of the groups together, also I went to his house and met his wife.
He then started sending me strange emails, asking for sex, saying he was in love with me and that we should be together...I rebuffed him as gently as I could, and told him I only wanted a friend and a hobby partner (I am married with 2 young children).

He then started sending abusive emails, facebook messages, accusing me of sleeping with all the other men in the group (it is a male-dominated hobby). I cut him off, blocked him and haven't responded to his messages for several weeks now.

Now he has gone from only being an occasional participant, to attending every single meetup, going to any new group meet that crops up, and also sending messages about me to my friends. He has been warned off by three separate well-meaning friends, and my DH! But he still persists with this behaviour.

Now I can't go to my hobby groups at all, it's really important to me and I feel I've been hounded out for being female. I've never met a man who has had to deal with this type of intimidation.
Don't know what I want out of this post really.
Just want to vent about it. If you read this, thank you.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

WoTmania Wed 03-Jul-13 11:32:05

Report to the police - you shouldn't have to put up with that. Also talk to whoever runs the groups. He should be the one to leave the groups rather than you being bullied out. It should be made clear to him that this behaviour is unacceptable and he isn't welcome if it persists.

BasilBabyEater Wed 03-Jul-13 13:07:01

Definitely report this man to the police.

He's dangerous.

Really, he is dangerous, it can't be stressed enough.

It's absolutely berserk for someone to behave like this - if he'd just been a normal bog-standard tosser, he'd have realised you weren't interested and might tell his wife and backed off a bit.

But to up the ante, is the behaviour of a loon and I would report it to the police.

I'd also get your DH to come with you to meetings for the forseeable future until he backs off.

MyHumpsMyLovelyBabyBumps Wed 03-Jul-13 13:38:19

id report to the police and ask their opinion on "outing" him to rest of group. Also id move this to relationships as i think you'll get good advice from women who have felt delt with it themselves

Stellarpunk Wed 03-Jul-13 13:41:44

I feel for you OP, I too have a male dominated hobby.

Can you contact the police? Or the chair of your group. This is terribly serious, don't let him get away with it. What a nobber!

OddSockMonster Wed 03-Jul-13 13:44:21

I also think you should call the police - call 101 and tell them everything.

greenhill Wed 03-Jul-13 13:46:23

He does sound dangerous. Contact the police, show them the emails, messages etc, tell them that he is following you around and intimidating you. If your DH and various friends have told him to back off, your DH may need to go to the hobby with you, temporarily, whilst this other man cools down and realises how inappropriate his behaviour is.

edam Wed 03-Jul-13 13:48:12

I agree with the advice about talking to the police - this is stalking and harassment. Feel for you but there is help available, go and ask for it.

ThingummyBob Wed 03-Jul-13 14:20:46

What's the hobby? Is it a group activity that you can make sure you have people around you at all times? Its bloody awful that you feel you can't go as he's harassing you.
I agree with reporting and keeping a diary of his actions. Scarily some stalkers do up the ante until 'something' happens. Fuckers.

Have you considered telling his wife? Or even having your dh talk to his wife? In a 'I'm concerned about your dh's feelings for my dw kind of way' if you don't want to give her all details. Poor woman though.

TheSmallClanger Wed 03-Jul-13 21:49:55

I had someone stalking me at work. You need to get the police involved. If they try to brush it off, insist. Go back at a different time and speak to another officer. You will probably find that they will take it seriously, and they will take action.

You mention that he goes to groups: are these organised groups with any sort of rules or organisation? I'm thinking of something like a sports club, which will have a president, secretary and so on, and probably some sort of code of conduct which members sign. If someone's behaviour is disrupting the group, can they be asked to leave?

You aren't a rally driver/co-driver, are you?

KaseyM Thu 04-Jul-13 09:45:57

Please go to the police. A similar thing happened to me. I had a really sympathetic police officer come round, he took a look at the evidence (save anything you have: messages, voicemails, etc) and sorted the problem out.

I'd also report to the leader of the hobby group.

DonnyOsmondsTeeth Thu 04-Jul-13 16:15:35

Thanks so much for all the supportive messages, it really means a lot to know I'm not exaggerating this in my own mind iyswim.

It's a music related hobby, so there are always other people around and friendly faces. I just couldn't perform if he was there, far too intimidating.
He hasn't contacted me directly for a couple of weeks now but is still attending every group meet he can think of. I'm unsure if the intention is to bump into me, or if he now realises I won't go anywhere he is, and is doing it out of spite.

I have no qualms in talking to his wife and my DH has suggested doing so himself. Hopefully he will get bored soon though and give up.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Justfornowitwilldo Thu 04-Jul-13 16:18:29

I would talk to the police.

edam Thu 04-Jul-13 17:12:33

YY agree with Buffy, make sure you do log it with the police in case he does this again.

WoTmania Thu 04-Jul-13 17:23:49

yup, would agree about just calling the police so there is a record there if he kicks off in future.

OctopusPete8 Thu 04-Jul-13 17:48:17

I would tell his wife, poor woman,

I would seriously consider talking to the police he sounds like a loon!

Justfornowitwilldo Thu 04-Jul-13 19:00:47

I wouldn't have any contact with his wife either. Police first.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

NandH Thu 04-Jul-13 19:34:48

What on earth is with all these weird men threads this evening! Sorry about the possible loss of your hobby, I know it would be hard and I'm being hypocritical for saying this as I would stop attending my hobby too but what if you were to stand your ground and show this arse hole your a strong woman and will not tolerate his behaviour or him attempting to push you out of the group!!!

Isoscelesnorks Fri 05-Jul-13 13:58:43

I'd go to the police. He needs to be stopped. It's not acceptable for him to do it to you and it's not acceptable for him to move on and find a new victim. As many people as possible in Authority need to tell him this is not acceptable behaviour. If he is banned from your hobby because of it then so be it.

LiveFastDieOld2 Sun 07-Jul-13 09:34:12

Yes go the police who will, at the very least, offer the man "words of advice". And I know this because it happened to me not long after I left school. I didn't give the tenant even the slightest encouragement but it got quite nasty.

Isoscelesnorks Mon 08-Jul-13 00:40:08

I'd also let the people in charge of your hobby know about your concerns and ask them what the policy is on this type of behaviour. Then tell them you want to keep attending at x times so will need them to help monitor said policies. Don't go hiding your problems or fears. You have done nothing wrong and should be able to attend without fear or harassment.

offal1 Mon 08-Jul-13 01:06:53

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now