Talk

Advanced search

MIL just bought DD a t-shirt that says...

(19 Posts)
birdofthenorth Wed 22-May-13 09:44:26

"I love being a girly girl!"

Groan.

DD is 2.9 and currently has a balanced love of cars & dinosaurs alongside dolls etc. T-shirt should read "I am Nana's only granddaughter alongside 4 grandsons and she wants me to be a girly girl!". Probably wouldn't sell as well?!

Off to hang it at the back of the wardrobe.

Love MIL apart from the gender nonsense (has previously denies all pink toys from DSS!).

kotinka Wed 22-May-13 09:46:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

CrapsWithBears Wed 22-May-13 09:47:41

Ugh.

My ex-MIL makes a point of buying my DD cheap pink crap because she knows my feelings about it. Luckily DD is only little so I still pick what she wears, I just put the clothes in her bag for when she sees her Dad or give them to my DMs boyfriend to use as polishing cloths and don't dress her in them myself.

Forgetfulmog Wed 22-May-13 09:47:55

I hate the expression "Girly girl". What does it even mean anyway?

Wolfiefan Wed 22-May-13 09:50:06

As opposed to a boy girl? How odd! Is there a boy equivalent?

kotinka Wed 22-May-13 09:57:01

CrapsWithBears Wed 22-May-13 09:59:09

I noticed that. There's a tomboy and then there's a girly girl, but there's only 'boy'. Why is that?

Well, personally I think it's because it's seen as 'wrong' for a boy to act like a girl, whereas girls can be 'girly' or 'boyish'.

Reminds me of this quote;

I think the whole world has essentially bought up not to be a girl. Ho do we bring up boys? What does it mean to be a boy? To be a be a boy is to not be a girl. To be a man means to not be a girl. To be a woman means to not be a girl. To be strong means to not be a girl. To be a leader means to not be a girl. I actually think that being a girl is so powerful that we've had to train everyone not to be that. - Eve Ensler.

CrapsWithBears Wed 22-May-13 09:59:50

What an overuse of quotation marks blush

kotinka Wed 22-May-13 10:51:27

PeterParkerSays Wed 22-May-13 11:03:19

Birdofthenorth but these t-shirts are so handy to provide extra layers when just a jumper and vest won't be warm enough, so long as you pick a day when there's absolutely no chance of it being warm enough to peel off the jumper to reveal the t-shirt.

Alternatively, could you get some fabric paints and paint

don't
˄

before "love" and get her to wear it with pride? grin

PeterParkerSays Wed 22-May-13 11:03:56

&#708 was supposed to be an upwards facing arrow. Symbols don't work so well on mumsnet then.....

Booyhoo Wed 22-May-13 11:12:43

fwiw- i hate 'tomboy' aswell. as if a girl liking cars and wrestling and football isn't a normal girl.

same with 'girly girl' - dresses and princesses etc= girly girl.

so what does that leave for just 'girls' to be into without wanting a label?

kotinka Wed 22-May-13 11:16:48

birdofthenorth Thu 23-May-13 09:37:48

Thanks all, glad to see my revulsion shared smile

The offending t-shirt came in a 2 pack with a plain green one too, and when DD saw them she told me "I don't want the pink one, I just want the green one"... that's my girl!

fl0b0t Thu 23-May-13 10:17:45

kotinka brilliant response.
We're having a surprise baby, and I'm amazed how many people say "once it's here and we know what gender, we'll give you some cast off clothes". No thanks, I'll have what you've got now. If it's a boy and the clothes are pink... tough!

HullMum Thu 23-May-13 18:12:49

flobot don't you know that a boy will melt in pink? shock their penis will melt clean off. true fact.

Alisvolatpropiis Fri 24-May-13 23:04:52

I wouldn't like that. I would never describe myself as being a "girly girl". I am feminine in some stereotypical,some less so, ways. Isn't that how it should be?

StrangeGlue Fri 24-May-13 23:10:00

'Their penis will melt clear off' lol!

To the back of the cupboard with that tee I think!

IncrediblePhatTheInnkeepersCat Tue 28-May-13 19:01:58

Crapwithbears 'I noticed that. There's a tomboy and then there's a girly girl, but there's only 'boy'. Why is that?'

Isn't the boy equivalent Nancy boy? Outdated term now, though. You also have 'a man's man'.

OP, could you get a variety of paints and encourage DD to customise the t-shirt? You could also get some iron on transfers of cars, dinosaurs and dolls. The message would then become that being a girl means you can like anything. Subvert the slogan ( then capture MILs expression when she sees it).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now