Talk

Advanced search

About time I started educating myself about feminism - ideas?

(14 Posts)
cardamomginger Sun 19-May-13 13:58:37

Hi,

First time poster in this section of the board. I have been inspired by the erudite posts written by Sparklyboots on an AIBU thread about Sasha Grey. Her careful and considered exposition about the different strands of feminism got me really excited about finally getting up off my backside and educating myself properly. I am a woman, have a daughter, consider myself to be a feminist, but it's all rather woolly and not particularly well thought through.

I was hoping to pick your collective brains and compile a reading list that will give me a good background in feminist theory. I would have PMed Sparklyboots, but she went into labour at the end of the thread, so I reckon she's got better things to do with her time.

Many thanks

Portofino Sun 19-May-13 14:00:59

The Equality Illusion by Kat Banyard is a good starter text IMHO. Not too heavy to read but gives a good outline of how sexism affects our everyday lives.

cardamomginger Sun 19-May-13 16:23:10

Thank you!
Any other ideas from anyone? Anything from a more theoretical perspective that could complement Portofino's suggestion?

UptoapointLordCopper Sun 19-May-13 17:08:41

Delusions of Gender by Cordelia Fine. Tells you about the scientific evidence. Makes so much sense.

The Subjection of Women by John Stuart Mill. I've only read the first chapter. Makes you think...

I've just bought Why So Slow?: Advancement of Women, by Virginia Valian. You can get a free sample chapter. Not read the whole thing yet.

HullMum Sun 19-May-13 17:36:08

I'd start with this section in general, but I'm not very well read in feminism yet tbh. I'd have pmd her but she went in to labor and probably had better things to do though made me grin

cardamomginger Sun 19-May-13 17:59:33

Thanks! It really did make me sit up a bit when, after I realised that I wanted to read more, I had no idea where to start other than Kate Millett. Flipping shame Silver Moon on Charing Cross Road shut down....

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Mon 20-May-13 21:20:17

Wifework, Susan Maushart
Eve Was Framed, Helena Kennedy

Try the feminist book club threads too!

LRDtheFeministDragon Mon 20-May-13 22:03:18

I found 'Beauty and Misogyny' by Shiela Jeffries really fascinating and it changed the way I thought about things. It is quite tough to read, though, and some of her ideas would upset a lot of people these days, so be prepared to dip in and see what you think.

Btw, I love your name.

LeStewpot Mon 20-May-13 22:08:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FunnysInLaJardin Mon 20-May-13 22:10:11

don't know about reading but just look around you every day. You will see sexism at every turn

HullMum Tue 21-May-13 13:59:00

funny reminded me of this www.everydaysexism.com/

slug Tue 21-May-13 14:35:11

This may also be of interest to you.

cardamomginger Wed 22-May-13 09:51:05

Hi - thank you for the other suggestions! Sorry I wasn't on to thank you all sooner - trying to toilet train DD, so was away from MN for a few days.

Funnys - it's more that I want to educate myself about different feminist theoretical perspectives to get myself acquainted with the lay of the land in terms of both present and historical debate. I recently read an article, I think by Susan Faludi, in the New Yorker in response to the death of Shulamith Firestone. Also got me thinking how much I just don't know.

LRD - your name is fab too grin.

Thanks everyone.

LRDtheFeministDragon Wed 22-May-13 11:21:24

Thanks! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now