Talk

Advanced search

The Apprentice

(13 Posts)
comelywenchlywoo Thu 16-May-13 23:07:03

Apologies if there's already an Apprentice thread about this, I didn't see on on my quick shifty through the board.

What are people's thoughts about the appearance of the women on the Apprentice? It seems to me that there are fewer and fewer candidates who do not conform to a more attractive ideal eg. no one's overweight or not particularly made-up. This season many of the women seem to be sporting make-up looks more appropriate for a lap-dancing club IMHO.

Now I absolutely think they may dress/wear whatever make-up they choose, but it just seems to be a worrying trend. I can't imagine "The Badger" amongst the current crop of female contestants. Are the female contestants being chosen based increasingly on their looks? Why are they all conforming to this particular "look"?

I'm interested in other's thoughts.

Ilikethebreeze Thu 16-May-13 23:10:08

There are at least 2 other threads running about the Apprentice. One of them in particular is talking specifically about the womens' appearance.
Probably the thread is in the tv addicts section, or whatever it is called.

Ilikethebreeze Thu 16-May-13 23:10:59

Nope. It is in AIBU

comelywenchlywoo Thu 16-May-13 23:13:42

I'll check it out. I guess I was interested in people's points of view from a feminist perspective.

DoctorAnge Thu 16-May-13 23:15:13

They are all tottering around on 6" heels and skin tight mini suits. It's awful. Presumably for viewing figures. The Aprentice is all nonsense now anyway. More heavily edited than any other season and always set up for the girls to look bitchy and skwarky towards one another.

VBisme Thu 16-May-13 23:17:56

Not even bothered to watch this season as I had inside info about the standards of the candidates.

They are picked for entertainment value, not ability.

WilsonFrickett Fri 17-May-13 00:00:18

To be fair, the men are all ridiculously over groomed too. I don't know whether it's thats about the casting, or the pool of people who applied.

HullMum Fri 17-May-13 01:12:12

the men may be over groomed but the majority are not attractive by conventional standards at all are they? All the women are. I don't think that's a coincidence, they don't seem up to the job and it's obvious why they were picked for. angry Alan sugar just makes horrible sexist comments and it's just vile. dh watched it unfortunately

LastMangoInParis Fri 17-May-13 01:21:26

grin
Sort of glanced at it as commuter next to me watched it with kind of mantis like solemnity on train last night - and thought how trussed up and dreadful everyone looked... And wondered vaguely what it must be like to have that kind of look as your ideal... Made me snigger a bit on an otherwise v dull train journey.

littlethings1 Fri 17-May-13 04:33:34

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

comelywenchlywoo Fri 17-May-13 08:59:54

Er really littlethings ?

DoctorAnge Sat 18-May-13 12:33:40

Yes alan
Sugar does say some horrible sexist comments and sets the girls up for bitching angry

BigBlockSingsong Sat 18-May-13 12:48:03

The Uzma girl works in cosmetics so I understand her look.

Tbh its not the make up that bothers me I suspect its all so similar because they are all very similar people , all young, pretentious, priviliged etc.

a wider diversity in age, shape,background would be good.

Maybe its their 'business face' . Some people look good with a lot of make up, I wear a lot of make up, because I look better not because I'm a wannabe lap dancer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now