Talk

Advanced search

'This Girl is on Fire' - Alicia Keys

(8 Posts)
Lottapianos Mon 22-Apr-13 16:14:13

I really like this song. Ideally, it would be 'This Woman's On Fire' but it's great to hear a pop song about a woman who is not pining for a man, or taking horrible treatment from a man, or anybody's ho or bitch or 'it' (looking at you Beyonce - sorry, Mrs Carter hmm)

I hear it as a celebration of strength and self-belief and resilience. Alicia Keys' voice is gorgeous - again, so nice to hear a song from a singer who can actually sing. I haven't seen the video so I'm hoping it's not full of half-naked women and such like.

DoctorAnge Mon 22-Apr-13 16:17:06

I agree with you.

worldgonecrazy Mon 22-Apr-13 16:21:52

You might like this one of hers too.

She does get a little bit half-naked in the Woman on Fire video, but not in the overtly in-your-face manner of someone like Rihanna.

sunlightonthegrass Tue 23-Apr-13 20:25:55

I absolutely love it - beautiful song beautifully sung.

YoniTime Tue 23-Apr-13 20:34:15

Good stuff. A positive song/video thread with links would be nice. I may start one later if no one beats me to it.

NotGoodNotBad Tue 23-Apr-13 20:45:26

Sorry but I find it hard to listen to a song about a girl on fire without thinking of it literally and then I have to switch it off!

HighBrows Wed 24-Apr-13 10:09:20

I hate this genre of music! Sorry!

I think the 'it' in Beyonce's song refers to her ring finger... i.e. 'if you liked it (maybe the sex?) then you should've put a ring on it (definitely the ring finger)'.... Don't tell me she's referring to herself... I'm depressed now.

NotGoodNotBad I also take the literally meaning in this song.

Absy Wed 24-Apr-13 10:14:57

I read an interview with her on it, and the reason she called it that is because someone described her in an interview as being "a girl on fire".

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now