Talk

Advanced search

Jimmy Savile

(2 Posts)
avenueone Fri 26-Oct-12 00:43:53

Yes and `vile' it is.. and whilst the BBC do need to be investigated, I would like to see more journalism looking at why it is people did not and continue to not come forward when they are victims of abuse and why many claims are ignored and why victim blaming continues.

I would like to see the positive outcome from this be that people who suffer abuse feel more able to report it and the reports are dealt with seriously and properly.

The constant `BBC' angle for me is diverting attention from the bigger issue and feel is an opportunity for the bigger issue to be addressed.

SinisterSal Fri 26-Oct-12 00:53:37

totally agree about the bbc angle rather smothering things.

'Apparently' nurses used to say to child patients 'pretend to be asleep'. That's alot of people who felt they couldn't be open and robust about what they felt.

I'm in Ireland. I'm in my early 30's. I grew up with the revelations of the peadophilia within the Catholic Church. Don't know can I give a before and after picture - I can't identify what exactly has changed.

But it definitely has, in many ways.

Unfortunately, I think we've hit the core of the problem. P0eople are ready to admit that abuse etc does happen, in an abstract kind of way - but not that someone they are personally invested in would be guilty of it. It's always someone else, not Fr So and So, not uncle Jimmy Savile, not my uncle, not my father.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now