Talk

Advanced search

B'ham council's appeal rejected in case over equal pay claims

(13 Posts)
bananaistheanswer Wed 24-Oct-12 11:11:30

here

Now the women who were underpaid/not paid bonuses etc have up to 6 years to make their claims.

Good. Shocking that the situation was ever allowed to happen. How the hell can the discrimnation be so blatant and yet so recent too? I'd love to know who made the decisions at the council re these bonuses, and how they were dealt with.

JuliaScurr Wed 24-Oct-12 12:18:17

but feminism's dead - we're all equal now, remember? <slightly cynical>

it's great news

AnyaKnowIt Wed 24-Oct-12 12:28:12

Was just about to start a thread about this.

Its great news but shouldn't have been allowed in the first place.

avaboosmummy Wed 24-Oct-12 13:30:26

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

AnyaKnowIt Wed 24-Oct-12 13:44:40

Avaboo - I'm guessing you don't read much on the FWR then?

I've only been here a few weeks and have seen nothing of what you have said.

OneMoreChap Wed 24-Oct-12 16:16:55

FWR is but a former shadow of itself, and I haven't noticed any man-hating here...

rosabud Wed 24-Oct-12 21:12:07

This is great news. What do they mean by bonuses? Christmas bonuses? And why would they be paid to some workers and not others? I don't understand how these things can happen in the first place.

JuliaScurr Thu 25-Oct-12 12:39:22

on Woman's Hour today there was the totally preditable Tory fool saying the women should have just got higher paying jobs to start with and the debt, the debt, the debt, money wasted on this should be spent on vital social services, blah....

JuliaScurr Thu 25-Oct-12 12:42:26

the bonuses were for productivity, overtime etc whch weren't available to eg dinner ladies
brilliantly negotiated by unions confused

OneMoreChap Thu 25-Oct-12 12:45:10

There's been lots of analysis of this type of thing - and the unions certainly have their share of blame.

Still, dirty, physically hard, outdoor jobs compared with warm stressful indoor jobs dealing with other people's kids and harsh management...

I wouldn't have liked to do the comparative job assessment on those...

Lottapianos Thu 25-Oct-12 12:45:57

Fantastic news. I'm feeling both sad and mad that this can still really be going on in 2012. I feel like cutting this news story out of the paper and running up to every person I see saying 'READ THIS! This, this, is why feminism is so bloody important!'

JuliaScurr, I can't imagine what sort of cretin could actually be arguing that this is a waste of money. Some people Tories really can't see past the end of their noses.

JuliaScurr Thu 25-Oct-12 12:52:01

yy Lotta
that's exactly the kind of issue taken into account, one

OneMoreChap Thu 25-Oct-12 13:38:40

JuliaScurr (good name by the way) that's the issue isn't it?

Many of these "ooh, mens jobs" had no proper recruitment anyway, with jobs going on the nod to family members too, I seem to recall.

[Having worked in catering and outside physical jobs, sorry - I'd go for warm, dry and no heavy lifting on each occasion]

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now