Talk

Advanced search

Guess which women featured most on front page articles?

(10 Posts)
kim147 Sun 14-Oct-12 18:13:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

namechangeguy Mon 15-Oct-12 08:50:03

Do you have any figures on which men and women featured most on the covers of magazines over the same period? The fact that Simon Cowell and Prince William were two of the three male equivalents suggests to me that this is more of a problem with our brain-dead, sleb-obsessed populace than any skewing of sexist stereotypes. If the male equivalents were 'call me Dave' or Boris, I think there might be more of a point.

On a positive note, it's good to see that the FT carries the highest proportion of female journalists.

enimmead Mon 15-Oct-12 10:02:02

I think there's a difference between newspaper articles and celebrity magazines?

Unless you think women aren't important enough to feature and have their views represented and discussed in the mainstream media and should only stick to the magazines?

namechangeguy Mon 15-Oct-12 10:10:04

Do you not think there is a parallel between Kate/Pippa and Wills/Cowell? That was my point.

LRDtheFeministDragon Mon 15-Oct-12 10:15:42

I saw that kim.

namechange - I think you're not reading the whole article, did you not see the context?

I agree that in the context, it's pretty awful. Especially the point about women's expressions (re. Merkel). That is subtler than the stats about numbers of men vs. women, but I think it's actually more infuriating.

kim147 Mon 15-Oct-12 10:18:32

MadeInChinaBaby Mon 15-Oct-12 10:34:39

That's bad.
When it's broken down into statistics, you realise how dire the situation is. This quote, admittedly from U.S. research, particularly alarming:
'in media reports on women's issues, including abortion and birth control, men are quoted around five times more than women.'

namechangeguy Mon 15-Oct-12 10:37:02

Yes, I do understand the context. An industry dominated by men produces the rubbish that by and large passes for journalism in this country. As a man I don't find this anything to be proud of.

I am all for an equal number, or even a majority of female journalists if it reduces the amount of lazy, inaccurate, xenophobic and downright nasty newspaper journalism we have in the UK.

Just one further point on the top chap in that list. Simon Cowell featured for 'proper' news stories - really?? It doesn't invalidate the overall point of the article, but let's not twist the facts, as there is no need to.

LRDtheFeministDragon Mon 15-Oct-12 11:06:19

No, she said 'most of' the men. Not 'all of' the men, I think?

I think we should be all for an equal number of female journalists working on all topics (ie., not just 'families' and 'fashion'), whether or not it reduces all those bad things. Obviously, I hope it will, but constructing a 'women must be better than men or I won't get behind equality' scenario pisses me off.

kim147 Mon 15-Oct-12 15:32:07

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now