Talk

Advanced search

Anyone see Julie Bindel on Sunday Morning Live?.

(16 Posts)
ConsiderCasey Sun 14-Oct-12 11:27:45

.... and was anyone else a bit shock when the military woman said she hadn't experienced any sexual harassment and then go on to describe quite a few cases of...um... clearly blatant sexual harassment?

AbigailAdams Sun 14-Oct-12 17:22:51

No I didn't. I switched it off at the beginning when a women doing a synopsis of her views basically said that women are their own worst enemy for complaining about every little bit of sexism and are doing women a disservice. hmm

I didn't think I was going to get on with her grin

And I can do without the women/victim blaming shit on a Sunday morning. I get it the rest of the week.

AbigailAdams Sun 14-Oct-12 17:24:36

But I must admit I only caught the beginning in passing and didn't realise Julie Bindel was on, otherwise I may have watched it.

YouMakeMeWannaLaLa Sun 14-Oct-12 21:27:17

I saw most of it. Utterly depressing sad

One of the comments displayed on screen (sent in by text) said that quotas in the workplace are pointless; in his uni class 50% of students are female so in a few years 50% of all jobs will be filled by females anyway! hmm shock

I was trying to articulate to my cat what was so idiotic about such simplistic thinking but I began to combust so had to put cbeebies on.

Oh, yeah and the woman from the army saying she had never been harrassed apart from men creeping into her tent at night but it's fine 'coz she said 'go away', (see, women, that's all you have to do hmm ).

One person also said being harrassed is 'a state of mind'.

<shoots self>

ConsiderCasey Sun 14-Oct-12 22:47:38

Did your cat agree with you YouMakeMe?

YouMakeMeWannaLaLa Sun 14-Oct-12 22:59:35

I couldn't form proper words I was too cross! I'm sure he would have, though. He's a very progressive feline.

KRITIQ Mon 15-Oct-12 00:33:17

That's pretty good, as cats rarely agree with anyone, on anything! smile

Reason 24 I'm glad I don't have a tv.

stinimefdar Mon 15-Oct-12 05:56:59

Dont-cha just love the sisterhood.....they sure love to support them fellas over this issue.....according to the stats women in the military are more at risk from rape and sexual assault from fellows than any other group of women and they are a huge minority in the forces.
Like the police force women get a tough time but feel unable to speak out because they know that to do so means 'your back aint covered when s**t happens'.....

ConsiderCasey Tue 16-Oct-12 00:12:40

Is it just me noticing this, that whenever they have a polarised debate on women's issues on tv or radio, they will often put two women against each other? They will always find a woman, not a man, to oppose feminism.

So it looks like sexism is something that women do to other women and men have no part in it.

Lottapianos Thu 18-Oct-12 14:13:02

I love Julie Bindel. I think she comes across better on TV than in print actually. Was quite impressed with Donal Macintyre too, he seemed to agree with everything Julie said smile Yes that ex-army woman was a total twit - never been sexually harrassed, but found a man in her tent in the dead of night?! hmm

Angela Epstein was a total twit as well - shaking her head at silly women getting worked up over a little bit of sexual harassment instead of just laughing it off! It's all just banter doncha know? You're taking it all too seriously girls! <pukes> Interesting that she referred to herself as a Jewish 'girl' even though she is clearly over 40 (not meaning that bitchily at all) and has 4 children

AbigailAdams Thu 18-Oct-12 14:52:02

Good point Casey.

I wish I had seen Julie Bindel now. It may be on iPlayer. I'll check it out at a time when I can cope with the twitishness of the ex-army woman. Twit is a great word btw, Lottapianos.

Lottapianos Thu 18-Oct-12 15:02:13

Ta AbigailAdams, I don't like using 'twat' so twit it is!

Great username by the way! Have you seen the John Adams HBO miniseries?

PretzelTime Thu 18-Oct-12 15:07:54

Is it just me noticing this, that whenever they have a polarised debate on women's issues on tv or radio, they will often put two women against each other? They will always find a woman, not a man, to oppose feminism.

Yes, it's common. Men like to hide behind women.

AbigailAdams Thu 18-Oct-12 15:09:32

I haven't Lottapianos. I'll check them out.

Lottapianos Thu 18-Oct-12 15:11:12

Paul Giamatti plays John Adams and Laura Linney plays Abigail and they are both fabulous. It's pretty hefty - think there's about 12 one hour episodes but it covers most of their lives. There's a scene in the last or maybe last-but-one episode which had me and DP blubbing our little eyes out because it's so beautifully acted <wells up at the memory>

AbigailAdams Thu 18-Oct-12 15:31:30

Sounds good.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now