Talk

Advanced search

I thought this was a bit off but seems no-one cares!

(18 Posts)
OnwardBound Fri 12-Oct-12 18:55:57

I started a thread in chat - www.mumsnet.com/Talk/_chat/1586164-An-example-of-casual-sexism-in-media

I felt this article/story examplified a casual sexist belief or attitude, one where certain jobs or careers are deemed exclusively male and no-one questions it.

Yes, I know it is just a Yahoo story but surely this sort of stuff is read by young girls and it just adds to a perception that girls don't do certain things.

However no-one in chat seemed interested or bothered - only one response from a poster who thinks I am being a bit silly really.

Just wondering what the feminist board would make of this. Am I making a mountain out of a mole hill or is this an example of how insidious sexism is in our society?

tougholdbird Fri 12-Oct-12 19:52:41

I am annoyed by it too. Until I started reading about feminism on mumsnet I didn't notice the small stuff like this, but now it really grates on me.

SamuraiCindy Fri 12-Oct-12 19:55:18

I notice things like this all the time and it is so annoying. Sometimes I wish (only in extremely brief moments) that I could go back in time to when I was younger and didn't see the world the way I do now. Ignorance is bliss and all that.

I ust don't get why the article even had to mention 'men'. Why not just say the astronauts could come back to earth wealthy??

SamuraiCindy Fri 12-Oct-12 19:56:33

Oh - and no, you're not making a mountain out of a molehill I think. It is the drip-drip-drip effect of all these apparently small things that can be so damaging.

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Fri 12-Oct-12 19:57:26

I agree, especially as it could easily have been written "could come back wealthy" or something.

DowagersHump Fri 12-Oct-12 19:58:10

I completely agree with you - it's part of the continuum which goes so far under the radar that most people don't notice it but it's the bedrock of the misogyny in our society.

Feminism is probably the right place to post it if you want a response other than you're being a bit 'silly' though smile

SamuraiCindy Fri 12-Oct-12 20:01:58

Feminism is probably the right place to post it if you want a response other than you're being a bit 'silly' though.

I wish more people could think deeper about things like this. It might seem small but it is just one more example of how girls/women are dismissed. It is frustrating that even though the OP put this in chat no one cared...what does it take to get people to actually THINK about things?? Rather than just shrugging their shoulders.

KRITIQ Fri 12-Oct-12 21:05:43

I don't think you are being unreasonable to be disappointed by the response. As others have said, a lot of seemingly small examples of sexism put together form an all over all picture of deeply ingrained and institutionalised sexism.

But perhaps not everyone feels able or ready to engage with that "bigger picture." It can feel less threatening, less worrying to frame it as "don't sweat the small stuff," or write things off as being silly and insignificant. That bigger picture is damned worrying, upsetting and can be hard to look at, wholesale.

However, don't forget that there are lots of folks who lurk, who will have read the link and thought about it, even if they didn't feel they could comment on it. That may have sparked off something for them that will be added to the next thing they see/hear/experience, and then the next, and the bigger picture will start to develop. So, it's always worth posting something, raising an issue, sharing your thoughts, because you will never know how that might be reaching someone who is in a place where they need to hear it.

Also of course also important to post about things people can do to tackle sexism - campaigns, petitions, groups, stuff like that, so as the consciousness is raised, women feel like they can channel their frustration into something positive, something to make a difference.

AllPastYears Fri 12-Oct-12 21:20:46

Totally annoying.

I remember reading in a newspaper article some time ago how everyone wanted "a big house and a pretty wife". Really? Everyone?

Women are still "other".

TerrariaMum Sat 13-Oct-12 18:35:56

Oh, this sort of thing drives me up the wall. Especially as DD's current favourite book is Meg and Mog Go to the Moon. I notice it a lot more since I had DD.

Totally agree with you OP - it all makes a difference.

BlingLoving Sat 13-Oct-12 20:59:37

Yup, this kind of thing infuriates me too. It's all these "little"things that add up.

Today a man in park with his small ds who was cowering behind his legs scared of the pigeons said, " stop being such big girl." And I was angry. So was dh grin

SamuraiCindy Sat 13-Oct-12 21:03:57

I hate it when people say that. I heard a guy at work say that just the other week - he was talking about Rylan (or whatever his name is) from the X Factor and said he was 'such a girl'. I almost blew a fuse and told him not to use girl as an insult!! At least he had the good grace to think about it and see the point. These little casual things all build up and people - young girls and boys especially - absorb these messages.

WhenLifeGivesYouLemons Sun 14-Oct-12 09:53:08

Sometimes the media tries... check out this Guardian article

It's overwhelmingly positive about how this young lady is taking control of her life to become a good parent and a valued member of society and some of the comments underneath are really disheartening sad

Although (nitpicking) I do get very annoyed when people call their little girls 'princess'

stinimefdar Mon 15-Oct-12 06:37:03

Yes 'my little princess', equates with damsels in distress when really what is happening they are 'damsel in supress'! All orchestrated by Disney and many others...this 'gender terrorism' is becoming more and more rigidly applied to our children. And the insult still remains that the term girl is used with such ease as a term of abuse....where as boys get labelled with all that stuff abput 'boys will be boys'!

We have made so little progress in liberating our children from these gender constructs they should be able to define for themselves their own version of what it is to be a girl or a boy not have it mashed down their throats from the moment they are born. Are Pink and Pale blue the only colours viable for the new born!!!!!!?

Lastofthepodpeople Mon 15-Oct-12 06:44:12

I missed your first thread but agree with you. As other posters have said, its the drip drip of sexism in the media that does so much damage.
It's the assumption that to be male is the default, and everyone else is other.
This sort of article really irritates me.

TheSmallClanger Mon 15-Oct-12 12:50:22

There were some decent agreements in that thread, but I understand your anger.

My opinion is that many women don't voice their more feminist opinions, because they are tired of being shouted down and told they are over-reacting and kicking up a fuss about nothing - it does happen on here.

OnwardBound Mon 15-Oct-12 15:12:19

Yes, there are now Clanger

When I posted this thread here there was only one reply in Chat basically saying stop being so silly.

But it actually does seem there is more of a feminist sensibility on MN then I first thought!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now