Talk

Advanced search

why do I feel like the world is going to hell in a handcart?

(2 Posts)
purplepansy Fri 12-Oct-12 08:51:10

Feel very depressed about the state of the world at the minute. On the one hand, we have teenage girls being shot for wanting an education and many horrifying stories from around the world about the daily systematic abuse of women. Things seem to be getting worse and with the economic crisis I worry that it can only get worse for women.
Then at home, in a supposedly progressive country, there seems to be increasing pressure on women to be the perfect good wife - with a good career (that doesn't mean that your man has to compromise his of course!), the perfect home, the requisite number of beautiful children, and naturally, you will look stunning at the same time, and support your man. I'm thinking really of the way that Samantha Cameron in particular is portrayed in the press. The way that the leaders of the main parties pulled out their wives at the end of their speeches made me feel quite nauseous.
I've never particularly been inspired to call myself a feminist, but times seem to be changing, and as a mother of girls, I worry about the society they are growing up in. We seem to be moving ever further from equality.
Does anyone else feel this way? And what can be done about it?

I feel that as society we're getting better with legislation. Maybe because of this there's a backlash with many people seeing it as pc gone mad, that women want more than just equality, or that we want equality when it suits us...inevitable backlash. Leading to it being 'cool' in some way to be anti feminist.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now