Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to complain every single day about this?

(29 Posts)
Kaloobear Mon 08-Oct-12 16:29:24

Ok, I know this isn't AIBU. I've just walked past a shop that had a t-shirt in the window with 'I LOVE SLUTS' on it. I am incensed. I went in and told the man behind the counter that it was offensive and I didn't think it should be there. He said, with a smirk, 'it's just a t-shirt'. I was so upset-though I don't know what I expected him to say-that I just replied 'it's not just a t-shirt' and walked out. I'm now furious with myself as well as the shop. I walk past it every day. I'm going to go in and tell him it's offensive every day it's there.

Lottapianos Mon 08-Oct-12 16:34:14

I'm with you Kaloobear. I have often been on the verge of complaining about similar but never had the guts to go through with it. Good for you for insisting you had your voice heard. Not everyone finds this sort of drivel amusing.

WereTricksPotter Mon 08-Oct-12 16:37:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

UnChartered Mon 08-Oct-12 16:41:04

i just googled to find out if it was a common 'design'

a little bit of me has just died. 'you can't beat a good slut (unless she's into that sort of thing) is now an advertising slogan

i don't want to google any more, it gives the sites traffic hits

Kaloobear Mon 08-Oct-12 18:13:26

Oh God UnChartered sad

Good idea about writing to the manager. I'm still going to go in whenever I pass if it's still there though. I want that smirk off his face sad

Kaloobear Mon 08-Oct-12 18:16:30

It's this one. Look at the price! People pay good money to declare their woman hating to the world...

(The shop is an independent place on Micklegate in York, not this place by the way.)

Kaloobear Mon 08-Oct-12 18:17:33

Am I allowed to say the shop name? It's Amanda's of York.

Kaloobear Mon 08-Oct-12 18:19:32

Just found their contact details. Will be writing tomorrow.

WereTricksPotter Mon 08-Oct-12 18:28:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Kaloobear Mon 08-Oct-12 18:43:10

I know! Ridiculous.

I've been talking to DH and I think what gets me the most is that it would (rightly) be completely unacceptable to print the same t-shirt but with a homophobic or racist word in the place of sluts. So why is it ok for sexism to be paraded around and advertised like this? I mean it's obviously not, but why hasn't that message been absorbed on a wider, social scale like anti-racism and anti-homophobia messages? I know racism and homophobia still exist of course, but I can't think of a time recently where they've been flaunted in such a 'normal' way as this was. I don't know, maybe that's naive. It just makes me feel a bit ill.

bringmeroses Mon 08-Oct-12 18:50:42

Makes me wonder how anyone can wear a T shirt saying such a thing anywhere where there are women - kids, parents, spouses, friends. You'd think social disapproval would stop it being worn.

Kaloobear Mon 08-Oct-12 18:54:31

Exactly. Who would wear it? No man I can think of. But clearly there's a market for them.

MadameBoolala Mon 08-Oct-12 18:57:33

They sell them on Amazon. Fucking HELL when will this bullshit ever END? angry

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=sr_nr_i_2?rh=k%3Ai+love+sluts%2Ci%3Aclothing&keywords=i+love+sluts&ie=UTF8&qid=1349718978

MadameBoolala Mon 08-Oct-12 18:57:58

sorry:

www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=sr_nr_i_2?rh=k%3Ai+love+sluts%2Ci%3Aclothing&keywords=i+love+sluts&ie=UTF8&qid=1349718978

Lottapianos Tue 09-Oct-12 12:53:21

'I've been talking to DH and I think what gets me the most is that it would (rightly) be completely unacceptable to print the same t-shirt but with a homophobic or racist word in the place of sluts'

Spot on Kaloobear. Racism and homophobia are taken much more seriously than sexism. Bidisha (from The Guardian) wrote a great article about this a couple of years ago - she said that someone shouted 'slag' at her one day when she was walking down the street. When she told some colleagues about it, they all thought she should just get over it and couldn't see how it could be particularly offensive. But she knew that if she told those same people that someone had called her a 'Paki', they would have been horrified. It's a complete double standard.

I have seen it said that t-shirts like this do perform a sort of social function - they clearly label any man who wears them as one to be avoided like the plague. Not sure this outweighs the offensive nature of it, though.

Perhaps what is needed is a succession of people outside the shop, wearing a t-shirt that says, "Only a man with a microscopic penis would wear that t-shirt". The manager couldn't complain, because it would only be a t-shirt, wouldn't it.

meditrina Tue 09-Oct-12 13:02:40

Men's or women's T-shirt? Would you find it offensive/inappropriate if worn on a slutwalk?

catwomanlikesmeatballs Tue 09-Oct-12 14:41:27

If that's the type of people they're appealing to (and want to appeal to), they're not going to be bothered by your complaints because you're not their customer base. They'll just think you're a funny madwoman and be amused. The tshirt is tacky but it allows freaks to advertise themselves, I think that's a good thing.

YouMakeMeWannaLaLa Tue 09-Oct-12 22:08:28

I know that shop! used to live on George Hudson St.

Used to call it the Try-Too-Hard-Trendy-Tossers shop.

Spot on, it seems. Can't believe they're still going.

Wipe that smirk off his face.

Kaloobear Wed 10-Oct-12 09:54:09

I went in again yesterday. He told me I'm obnoxious, it's a best seller, some people find it funny and he's taken my views into account but decided to leave it up there. (Because obviously I am just a silly little woman who should know my place.)

I'm stepping this up. I've tweeted about it, put it on Facebook, phoned the council (what can they do?! I don't know-I'm just telling anyone who'll listen). The owner doesn't have an email address but I'm trying to get hold of her by phone. (HER!!)

What else can I do? Any ideas very gratefully received.

Also, on the question of whether I'd be offended if it was worn on a slut walk, that really made me think! I don't think I would be, which might be very hypocritical. But I think on a man, worn without irony, purely to be offensive (or-worse?-without realising it's offensive) it's very different.

Cluffyfunt Wed 10-Oct-12 09:57:51

I think they should lower the price so it's affordable to most people.
That way misogynistic idiots become more easily identifiable wink

Kaloobear Wed 10-Oct-12 10:13:53

Have just reported them to Trading Standards on the advice of the council.

slug Wed 10-Oct-12 10:57:13

Do they have a twitter account? Take a photo and bombard them with tweets. Ask Mumsnet to re-tweet so those of us that follow them can pick up the picture and join the campaign.

Kaloobear Wed 10-Oct-12 11:00:24

They don't unfortunately-that would be brilliant. They are on Facebook though-there are already a couple of things on their wall about it (wonder how they got there ;) )

Kaloobear Wed 10-Oct-12 11:54:24

Link to new thread in AIBU

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now