Talk

Advanced search

many girls are not receiving the education they are "entitled to"

(5 Posts)
noviceoftheday Wed 03-Oct-12 07:53:13

Interesting quote from a news story today saying that Physics is still seen as a male subject and therefore girls are not encoraged to do it. Only 20% of Physics A-level students are females. I was quite shocked by the statistic. I was also interested by the fact that when girls attend a girls school then the take up of Physics A level is much higher. I was encouraged strongarmed to do Physics A level and so slightly alarmed by the thought that we are going backwards with the sciences, not forwards. It just seems to me like a very subtle form of sexism at school.

m.bbc.co.uk/news/education-19603399

HipHopOpotomus Wed 03-Oct-12 16:58:06

Another example - DN is soon to go to high school. All her local schools are predominantly, but not exclusively, Muslim (in London) where the schools are run on a sexist basis.

i.e. Playgrounds are segregated, with the girls playground being small and girls are encouraged in passive activities, while boys get much larger playgrounds and are encouraged to run around, play football etc. Girls aren't allowed to wear trousers as part of the school uniform. The majority of girls are not expected to be educated beyond high school - so different expectations at school level towards boys and girls. These are not religious school but state schools FFS!!

Just a few examples - basically religion of the majority of children is prioritised over equal opportunity and equal access for all children regardless of religion. It must be such a nightmare for parents in the catchment area.

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Thu 04-Oct-12 13:05:41

Bloody hell hipop, what does the LA say about that?

slhilly Thu 04-Oct-12 13:09:27

Doesn't strike me as a particularly subtle form of sexism. Also worth noting that physics A Levels lead to physics degrees, and ibanks have been recruiting physicists for the past decade or more.

Felicitywascold Thu 04-Oct-12 13:12:40

Hiphop, I'd be interested as to whereabouts in London these schools are. As this is not my experience after working with schools in several inner city boroughs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now