Talk

Advanced search

Tesco at it again...with cereal

(25 Posts)
kim147 Sun 30-Sep-12 15:34:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SirBoobAlot Sun 30-Sep-12 15:35:45

Yes, because women don't like chunky cereal. Our teeth can't crunch it because we're so dainty and needy.

Complaint being written tonight...

Aloha31 Sun 30-Sep-12 15:38:51

wtf?! Why!?!!?! Even the packaging...it is almost funny?!

PanofOlympus Sun 30-Sep-12 15:44:10

No, it's been written in a stencil-style industrial font, so it must be for men, see?

notcitrus Sun 30-Sep-12 15:50:20

Wtf? Cereal with chocolate in it and they discount the vast majority of people who buy chocolate???

I look forward to seeing that line discontinued and dirt cheap at Lidl soon...

Uppercut Sun 30-Sep-12 15:54:08

Aloha31
"wtf?! Why!?!!?! Even the packaging...it is almost funny ?!"

I would imagine most people do find it funny, due to the irony of a bag that contains muesli looking like it should contain gravel (because real men eat gravel... a ridiculous premise that harmlessly plays with a gender stereotype).

Granite-faced types who find this packaging 'offensive' should perhaps consider using a stronger brand of pile cream.

piprabbit Sun 30-Sep-12 15:55:53

They know that no right minded woman would eat something so fat making.
Women only eat breakfast cereals which can be used to replace entire meals and ensure they fit in a bikini.
Obviously.

LeFreak Sun 30-Sep-12 16:44:21

I think it's because they think most men wouldn't be seen dead buying muesli -because it's girl food (being supposedly healthy an all).

Like coke zero - for men who are too manly for diet coke grin

MiniTheMinx Sun 30-Sep-12 16:46:42

I would like to make Tesco's fat cat CEO eat it, so much of it the scummy man goes pop. I'm still seething over Workfare.

It says the product is currently unavailable. Must have been a rush on it grin

Uppercut Sun 30-Sep-12 16:54:52

LeFreak
"Like coke zero - for men who are too manly for diet coke "

A friend mentioned that to me a few weeks ago. I was gobsmacked that would really make a differences to purchasing habits because... they both taste just as nasty to me.

kim147 Sun 30-Sep-12 16:58:45

nannynick Sun 30-Sep-12 17:03:38

As a bloke I am set in my ways so wouldn't buy it.
Wonder who their target market is, not me clearly.

Trills Sun 30-Sep-12 17:04:36

Coke Zero is nicer than diet coke, it has approximately 24 more years of diet cola technology in it.

Himalaya Sun 30-Sep-12 17:35:40

grin

Muesli does have an image problem (wasn't it implicated in that George Orwell quote about sandal wearers, juice-drinkers, Quakers, feminists and other cranks in a thread last week?). It's always trying to reinvent itself as luxury food for boating types from Devon, or some kind of Pick and Mix 2.0.

Xenia Sun 30-Sep-12 17:52:30

The irony that a load of sugar laden carbs is terribly bad for men and women. The fewer people eat it the better.

bigTillyMint Sun 30-Sep-12 17:54:19

grin Must get some for DH.

ParrotTulip Sun 30-Sep-12 17:57:35

This must be a publicity stunt

kim147 Sun 30-Sep-12 18:04:33

Tryingtobenice Sun 30-Sep-12 18:17:05

Well, years after the whole 'yorkie, not for girls' campaign it is still bought 49% women, 51% men. Galaxy, with all it's pretty 20 something women are bought by a hugely distinct 51% female 49% male. So clearly all the marketing genius is money well spent.

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Sun 30-Sep-12 18:33:18

It isn't cereal if it has chocolate chunks in. Personal rule.

OP can you tweet it to @EverydaySexism, if you are on Twitter.

MiniTheMinx Sun 30-Sep-12 19:04:17

Tescos are on facebook, is it worth putting something on their wall?

Frans1980 Mon 01-Oct-12 12:03:37

Tryingtobenice makes an interesting point. If 49% of Yorkies sales are by women then it's pretty clear women in general aren't as offended by the "not for girls" thing that the women on here. Maybe less women are feminists than you thought?

Don't forget complaining about something gives it free advertising. And when you are trying to get noticed and sell something often any publicity is good publicity.

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Mon 01-Oct-12 12:10:08

Frans I don't understand your argument. Why are the women buying Yorkies not feminists? You could be a feminist and say I'm boycotting that because of the slogan. Or...you could be a feminist and say bollocks to that, I'm buying it anyway to prove a point,. You could be a feminist and not bother reading packets. Etc etc,

Frans1980 Mon 01-Oct-12 12:18:19

Another thing the marketing might actually use reverse psychology to get sales. ie if you say a product is "not for women" that might actually make a woman say "not for me well I'll show them" and go buy it to "spite" them.

My point is love or hate advertisers a lot of them know which buttons to push to get their product sold.

EleanorHandbasket Mon 01-Oct-12 12:23:15

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now