Talk

Advanced search

3yo DS has declared 'pink is for girls and mummy and blue is for boys and daddy'

(14 Posts)
Kveta Thu 27-Sep-12 15:44:34

angry

where the feck has he got this from? yes, DD wears some pink we've been given for her, but also wears blue - DS has mainly primary coloured toys, nothing overtly 'boy', same for his clothes.

any ideas how to teach him that there is no colour for girls or colour for boys? he even decided a purple toy car wasn't as good a a blue one because 'it's a girl car mummy'

GRRRR.

Pochemuchka Thu 27-Sep-12 15:55:34

Just had a similar thing with DD (3)
She has started to declare toys/clothes as 'boys' and 'girls'.
We have never done this - both DD and DS (19 m) have a mix of colours in clothing (DD does have a preference for pink/purple but so does DS at the moment!). They both dress up in dressing up clothes and shoes and play with babies/cars/whatever and have both insisted on me painting their toenails!
I can only assume she has got this from nursery.
At the moment I just gently say 'toys/pink/whatever is for boys and girls if that's what they like'. She seems to accept this so I'll persevere with it!

I'm not undoing all the hard work I did on their father who comes from a very sexist family, who were disgusted hmm that their grandson was dressing up in 'girls' dressing up stuff, and has just started to let them express themselves as they choose.

Tincletoes Thu 27-Sep-12 15:58:59

My 3 year old DS did just the same thing and I was equally baffled.

Anyway... Fast forward 2 years, and pink is cool, apparently, because James says so. So I wouldn't worry too much just yet.

MoChan Thu 27-Sep-12 22:32:03

They pick it up once they are "out there".

My other half (who is male) owns two pink t-shirts and two pink work shirts. When my DD starting picking up that message I made him wear them as much as possible...

WidowWadman Thu 27-Sep-12 22:42:42

My 3.9 yo daughter recently started with this, to which I usually just say "but that's a really silly thing to say, isn't it?" and then will point out that Daddy looks smashing in his pink shirt (he does), and that toys are for children not boys or girls.

Princessofdarkness Thu 27-Sep-12 22:52:20

Ds started saying this too, i explained that i hate pink, and i like blue, so now he says "pink is for girls, except mummy" hmm

DD 3.9 says this sometimes.

I put it down to her stepmum who once told her black and gold nail polish was a silly colour for a girl. Erm...wtf? She wanted to be like mummy but so what if it wasnt pink.

Princessofdarkness Thu 27-Sep-12 23:02:01

I love black and gold smile

Kveta Fri 28-Sep-12 09:22:47

oh good, glad it's not just my child! I did tell him he was being ridiculous when he declared the car not so good. sigh. even the childminder is bemused by it, as she (like me) is not promoting any gender specific toys or colours.

thunksheadontable Mon 01-Oct-12 00:00:41

Ds did this at less than two and a half, refused a pink cup.
We went online and looked at pictures of men in pink shirts/with pink ties and women in blue outfits and boys in pink/girls in blue etc etc until all combinations had been done and his dad wore pink and I wore blue for about a week and just reinforced it. Which we will repeat when if it comes up again.

avenueone Mon 01-Oct-12 00:05:54

It is everywhere ... even saw `pink smarties' in the supermarket for Christmas this week and to keep it out of their precious minds it take A LOT of re-enforcement IMO. My DS is 7 and even though he understandably still says things similar as he hears it day in, day out in school -I was so proud to hear him tell the neighbours daughter how he would like some pink shoes as pink shoes are not just for girls. grin

InvisibleHotPinkWeasel Mon 01-Oct-12 00:08:29

Oh good, more strawberry ice cream for mummy and none for you and daddy. You don't get blue ice cream.

InvisibleHotPinkWeasel Mon 01-Oct-12 00:09:41

Pointing out boy flamingos and boy pigs helps too grin

LeFreak Mon 01-Oct-12 00:10:57

They get it from other kids and from TV.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now