Talk

Advanced search

Putting feminism into action

(12 Posts)
EatsBrainsAndLeaves Tue 25-Sep-12 12:34:23

Feminism isnt just a political theory, a key element is putting it into practice. If you are a feminist, what do you do to put your feminism into practice?

kim147 Tue 25-Sep-12 12:41:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Portofino Tue 25-Sep-12 12:43:14

Are you going to give any indication of what YOU do EBAL?

EatsBrainsAndLeaves Tue 25-Sep-12 12:53:18

Sure Porto - I will share? You next?

I am organising a woman only event as part of a wider festival that has traditionally been pretty sexist. I try to ensure at work that women are listened to and that we take their needs into account in a major way when designing projects. I challenge sexism.

I also do lots of small everyday stuff. So use she instead of he for animals where their sex is unknown e.g. squirrels you see on a walk. I challenge rape myths.

kim147 Tue 25-Sep-12 13:03:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

greenhill Tue 25-Sep-12 13:40:02

I bring up my DD to think she can be whoever she wants to be. This means being positive and enthused about most things and trying not to let my own phobias have any impact on her life eg I am scared of heights but willingly climb up on the rope adventure frames at the park or go on the big wheel at the fairground; I don't want to pass on negativity or an idea that girls shouldn't be as playful, adventurous or physical as the boys (stuff that had been common currency when I was a child, such as not getting your clothes messy / dirty etc is dismissed). It has helped me see that I can overcome things that I thought were hard wired in my psyche too.

I talk to her of my education, previous career, about positive role models in our family and of inspirational figures from sport / arts / exploration etc.

My stuff is only small stuff, but increases my DD's confidence in her own abilities and has some impact on her friends too.

KRITIQ Tue 25-Sep-12 14:06:20

I try to live my principles in every aspect of my life. Most of my career, I've chosen to work in areas where I have the opportunity to improve the status and opportunities for women and girls and/or tackle the barriers they face in society. I feel quite privileged that I've been able to do that.

Portofino Tue 25-Sep-12 20:11:05

I joined the Diversity committee at work. Interestingly, I was invited because I was English (foreign), not because I was female. Women are very under represented where I work (ICT) but a huge number of employees do things like install underground cable, build mobile phone antennas and install digital tv. None of which are "typical" female jobs I guess. I enjoy being part of forming strategy for the future.

I really THINK how I parent now. I don't praise dd for being pretty or nice. I work on manners, independant thought and try to encourage activities that will round her. I was really happy recently when I said she could go on one of the activity holidays that my employer subsidises ( they are mostly very gender neutral anyway) - and she chose Astronaut Camp. Where they spend a week at the Euro Space Center - and do all the simulators etc.

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Tue 25-Sep-12 20:27:25

Astronaut Camp?!?

<lines up to be adopted by Porto>

Portofino Tue 25-Sep-12 21:33:29

I am jealous!

Lottapianos Wed 26-Sep-12 09:00:01

I run workshops for parents of young children and I challenge (in a nice way) any gender stereotypes that come up during discussions. I really emphasise to parents that there are no 'boy' toys or 'girl' toys and how important it is to treat their child as an individual. In general I find that mums are ok with this but dads can be much more resistant

I don't bang my head against the wall when my colleague makes her 12th comment of the day about how different boys and girls are <screams silently>

I try to challenge sexist comments made against both men and women

I challenge rape myths

I am supportive of colleagues who work part-time due to parenting commitments, I find this challenging at times and if I wasn't a feminist I think I would become quite frustrated by it

When working with children, I try to use a mix of 'he' and 'she' for animal characters etc

I try not to automatically comment on little girls' shoes!

Kashmiracle Wed 26-Sep-12 11:40:31

I try my best to be a strong female example to my children. And I educate them properly, giving them a sense of equality between genders and also, letting them know when it's not okay to discriminate against people.

In my work. (Am currently a SAHM) but in my work life, I tend to work in fairly male dominated areas in Mental Health, with offenders and addicts. I refuse to be treated any differently in that work because I am female.

I will challenge people who treat me and any other women differently just because they are women.

I also stand against the sexual objectification of women.

I encourage my female friends to perhaps think differently if they are playing into gender stereotyping.

I don't allow gender-based play in my house. Dressing up, dollies, swords and cars are for everyone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now