Talk

Advanced search

I'm the favourite for an engineering job!

(15 Posts)
WanderingWhistle Sun 23-Sep-12 15:24:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Sun 23-Sep-12 15:43:57

I'm glad you have a good opportunity that you think will suit you WW.

FrothyDragon Sun 23-Sep-12 15:58:53

Good luck, WW. smile <crosses fingers>

Let us know how you get on.

TeiTetua Sun 23-Sep-12 16:16:05

Let's just hope that the atmosphere in this department encourages people to respect each other and get the work done, and not the kind of place where page 3 of the Sun is shown around and discussed every morning. It's way too common for groups of men to get in the mode where they increase their status with their mates by how badly they treat women, but if this is a transfer within the same company, you must know something about what the place is like.

LRDtheFeministDragon Sun 23-Sep-12 16:22:18

Ooh, that's wonderful!

I too hope your department turns out to be nice and welcoming (or if not, that it very soon becomes that way).

WanderingWhistle Sun 23-Sep-12 18:56:36

LRDtheFeministDragon Sun 23-Sep-12 19:00:14

WTF?

That's, erm, definitely a red flag!

But I hope it does all work out.

WanderingWhistle Sun 23-Sep-12 19:06:13

LRDtheFeministDragon Sun 23-Sep-12 19:16:22

Well, it could be that sort of 'harmless', 'old-fashioned' sexism, which may not be too much of an issue? I don't know really but I used to work with people who'd make similar comments in what might be a vaguely similar workplace (lots of engineers, also lots of metallurgists/chemists). But I was a very young, very lowly data-entry-and-admin type, so it is obviously not the same. I suppose you might end up having to be a bit forceful about the fact you know your stuff? But then, you obviously demonstrated you do, or you'd not have been told you're the favourite.

WanderingWhistle Sun 23-Sep-12 19:34:48

amillionyears Sun 23-Sep-12 19:43:27

I would mention that you are happy to work in a male orientated team,and that you grew up in a male environment.If you also have hobbies where there are plenty of men about,that might be worth a mention too.
My DD has grown up in a male environment and I think this helped her to get the job she has.

WanderingWhistle Sun 23-Sep-12 19:54:51

StewieGriffinsMom Sun 23-Sep-12 19:59:13

LonelyCloud Sun 23-Sep-12 22:20:58

Good luck! I hope it all works out for you smile

And not all male dominated workplaces are as TeiTetua suggests - I've worked for several engineering design companies, with mostly men. There's usually very little page 3 type stuff on display.

The sexism I've come across at work is more the "mind your language in front of the ladies / Let me hold the door for you / You have the last chair in the meeting room" type stuff, so if anything, the men at work generally behave more respectfully towards the women in the office than they do towards the other men.
(But maybe I've just been lucky!)

TiggyD Wed 26-Sep-12 22:38:33

Working in an environment staffed totally by the opposite sex isn't that hard if you remember to think of them as people rather than men (or women).

Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now