Talk

Advanced search

Equal pay for equal work is revolution

(9 Posts)
EatsBrainsAndLeaves Sun 23-Sep-12 03:29:36

"Feminists know that if women are paid equal wages for equal work, women will gain sexual as well as economic independence. But feminists have refused to face the fact that in a woman-hating social system, women will never be paid equal wages.

Men in all their institutions of power are sustained by the sex labor and sexual subordination of women. The sex labor of women must be maintained; and systematic low wages for sex-neutral work effectively force women to sell sex to survive. The economic system that pays women lower wages than it pays men actually punishes women for working outside marriage or prostitution, since women work hard for low wages and still must sell sex.

The economic system that punishes women for working outside the bedroom by paying low wages contributes significantly to women's perception that the sexual serving of men is a necessary part of any woman's life: or how else could she live?

Feminists appear to think that equal pay for equal work is a simple reform, whereas it no reform at all; it is revolution. Feminists have refused to face the fact that equal pay for equal work is impossible as long as men rule women, and right-wing women have refused to forget it.”

Andrea Dworkin, 'Right-Wing Women'

Nigglenaggle Sun 23-Sep-12 07:48:29

What a load of....

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Sun 23-Sep-12 16:41:42

What's your view, Eats? I think the Equal Pay Act has been a reasonably successful piece of legislation though there are still some unequal areas.

LRDtheFeministDragon Sun 23-Sep-12 16:45:28

confused

I like Dworkin, but what is this thread about?

Leithlurker Sun 23-Sep-12 16:52:30

How do feminists know that equal pay would equal independence. Many women have fought with men from unions at their side to get equal pay, or at least pay parity with other male workers. It seems however that the independence alluded to is not happening.

Also since women are now probably the largest percentage of the work force, especially given the move towards part time work, the notion that women are held back by being sex objects or that their role is to serve men through sex, seems to be somewhat flawed.

greenhill Sun 23-Sep-12 17:51:59

To be fair to Andrea Dworkin, this book was published in 1983 and she has been dead seven years now. Society has moved on, this book is talking of research done in the 1970's and early 80's at the latest.

To borrow a quote "we've come a long way, baby". 30 years is a long time and the Equal Pay Act has transformed the lives of many low earners, there is a minimum wage that is index linked and workplace policies have deliberately sought out and corrected inequalities in job titles, to ensure that people doing the same work are being paid the same amount of money. Certain things preventing the inequalities are now enshrined in law.

Nigglenaggle Sun 23-Sep-12 19:22:33

OK give the origin of the quote I will take my orignial statement back, she was probably more accurate at the time. As I was only 5 then, cant properly comment.

Nigglenaggle Sun 23-Sep-12 19:22:48

'original' dammit!

WidowWadman Sun 23-Sep-12 19:54:40

What's the point of randomly posting a quote without saying anything about it?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now