Talk

Advanced search

This made me happy.

(13 Posts)
AnnieLobeseder Sat 22-Sep-12 15:04:17

Average size women on catwalk Elena Miro show

I don't generally care about fashion, or even style! But I do hate how the fashion industry requires it's female models to be anorexic.

So I was very pleased to see this. Well done Elena!!

AnnieLobeseder Sat 22-Sep-12 15:04:43

Gah, its, not it's.

blush

LastMangoInParis Sat 22-Sep-12 15:24:03

I agree, Annie.

I love the way that the patterns on those dresses are actually visible, too.
(And is Elena Miro a Spanish designer? I think the Spanish are being quite sensible about employing healthy-looking fashion models ATM. Personally, I think this is a far better look, FWIW.)

I do think it's a shame that this is even still an issue, though.

BlameItOnTheCuervo Sat 22-Sep-12 15:27:03

Fashion designers don't require models to be anorexic though, in fact, because its a serious psychological disorder, anorexic models are rarely used.

AnnieLobeseder Sat 22-Sep-12 15:28:22

Sure BlameIt, sure. They look like that without starving themselves at all. hmm

DioneTheDiabolist Sat 22-Sep-12 15:30:20

Blameit, while anorexia is not a requirement foe modeling, being seriously skinny is.

BlameItOnTheCuervo Sat 22-Sep-12 15:34:04

Some do though. And some larger models look like that because they eat more calories than they need.

I hate this villification of the slim and bandying around of terms like "emaciated" or "anorexic" when there is a big difference between being slim and skinny. And skinny and anorexic. Its just another way for women to be cruel about each other. I am anorexic. Its a serious condition that has little to do with vanity.

I actually think the models in the links look great.

BlameItOnTheCuervo Sat 22-Sep-12 15:36:44

Dione, no it isn't. Many agencies require their models to be healthy after the size 0 fiasco. Some people ARE skinny. Doesn't mean they starve themselves.

BlameItOnTheCuervo Sat 22-Sep-12 15:37:52

I actually shouldn't have posted on this, not in the right frame of mind. Sorry.

AnnieLobeseder Sat 22-Sep-12 15:50:03

Fair enough BlameIt, perhaps I should have used the term 'unhealthily underweight' or 'malnourished'. Because you're right, anorexia is a mental disorder, and catwalk models may or may not suffer from it.

However, while I do of course have no objection to women who are naturally thin, models are very often undernourished to the point of poor health, as has been proven time and time again.

BlameItOnTheCuervo Sat 22-Sep-12 16:03:19

yes, there are some who are naturally very thin, but there is a huge amount of pressure to maintain a lower than ideal weight/stay toned etc. reputable agencies are more careful but its really the designers who have an issue with a size 8 rather than a 4, and then you have the whole airbrush nonsense. the models in the link look great though.

that said, I think that we are, as a whole too quick to accept overweight as the norm. to the point where it is acceptable to tell a slim woman to "eat more pies"/comment on their size/what they eat ("where do you put it all?") and dismiss them as unhealthy/anorexic/unnaturally skinny. however, I dont think its acceptable to judge or mock anyone based on their size. I loathe the "real women" tag and the assumption that a size 16 is sexier than a size 6. And its women who do it. to make themselves feel better at the expense of other women.

but, Im sorry for my first post. I am ultra-sensitive about the use of "anorexic" because its such a serious, awful, soul-destroying disorder. and it seems to be used rather flippantly.

AnnieLobeseder Sat 22-Sep-12 16:05:15

No, I do agree with you BlameIt, and I apologise for my own flippant use of the term.

BlameItOnTheCuervo Sat 22-Sep-12 16:07:54

no problem, as I said, am having an off day so over-reacted. <pours tea>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now