Talk

Advanced search

BUT WHO WILL THE BOYS MARRY??!!!

(17 Posts)
msrisotto Fri 21-Sep-12 18:25:13

The only problem with China's one child policy and massive over production of boys according to the BBC news. hmm confused
How, just how can they not even mention the gender politics of it all??

LRDtheFeministDragon Fri 21-Sep-12 18:29:49

Well, indeed. It's horrible and terrifying.

kim147 Fri 21-Sep-12 18:30:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

getrealandgetalife Fri 21-Sep-12 18:31:34

Im my dd's school there are 60 % more boys than girls........ admittedly this is a quirk of nature rather than selective breeding.

My dd was IVF, i dont have the words to expalin how i feel about these abortions....

msrisotto Fri 21-Sep-12 18:33:21

Course they didn't. Twats.

Really really intresting first paragraph on that link Kim, it seems Girls are naturally better survivors than boys. Society is just determined to fuck that up.

msrisotto Fri 21-Sep-12 18:34:56

That article is also most concerned about the lack of women for men to marry. How arse backwards is that?

meditrina Fri 21-Sep-12 19:24:03

I can't find it in the BBC website at the moment.

Any particular reason why this has come up again now? This has been the concern for some decades now, and bridenapping is regularly reported. Though of course the one-child policy restrictions are beginning to be eased.

sashh Sat 22-Sep-12 05:15:22

I couldn't read the article, the font too small and red.

EatsBrainsAndLeaves Sun 23-Sep-12 04:19:35

Totally agree OP. And they fail to mention the horrifying killing of baby girls that happens often in China.

But we live in a patriarchy - so a society that is woman hating. Our only "real" purpose is to serve the needs of men. So the BBC are just reflecting this by only caring about the impact on men of the killing of baby girls and sex selection.

monsterchild Sun 23-Sep-12 04:37:48

They will have to have a war, i guess. Isn't that the traditional thing to do when faced with too many men?

EatsBrainsAndLeaves Sun 23-Sep-12 04:42:47

Or perhaps just stop killing baby girls?

meditrina Sun 23-Sep-12 08:37:09

China is faced with too many people. Having fewer girls serves the policy aim.

They are unlikely to have a war as the state had very effective control and has done do for many decades now. The one-child policy has been around since 1978, with certain relaxations for ethnic minorities and there has been a further relaxation for all (in theory) recently.

Infanticide is illegal in China (though abortion up to the point of labour is); it is not clear at which point the excess deaths occur. This is an interesting point - if a woman, in a country which genuinely has abortion on demand, request a an abortion, is someone right to deny her this because they do not like her reason for the request?

And of course, detectable since at least the 1990s is the changing perception of baby girls in China, especially in the areas benefiting from Deng's economic policies; You have free access to this contentChina's One-Child Policy and the Empowerment of Urban Daughters.

EatsBrainsAndLeaves Sun 23-Sep-12 10:30:32

Infanticide of baby girls is common in China. I cant believe I have just read a comment justifying killing baby girls! And on a parenting website too.

Himalaya Sun 23-Sep-12 11:32:20

I think meditrina's question " if a woman, in a country which genuinely has abortion on demand, request a an abortion, is someone right to deny her this because they do not like her reason for the request?" is a reasonable, and hard one.

Is this what you have responded to as 'justifying killing baby girls' EBAL? I don't think we should start talking about abortion in terms of 'killing babies'.

messyisthenewtidy Sun 23-Sep-12 12:59:46

Meditrana, thanks for the link, am reading it now. But first thoughts were "how sad" for the little girl who had to prove herself as above average intelligence in order to gain the love/approval of her father. Most boys and most girls are average. It is the different opportunities afforded to these children based on gender which is the problem.

"if a woman, in a country which genuinely has abortion on demand, request a an abortion, is someone right to deny her this because they do not like her reason for the request?"

That is indeed a huge question! As someone who supports women's reproductive rights it would hard to answer "yes" to this question. However I think the answer to the problem is to eliminate the "reason for her request". If having a baby girl results in comparative financial hardship for the parents the answer is to increase women's opportunities so that they need not be a financial burden to their parents.

AbigailAdams Sun 23-Sep-12 14:22:54

Missing women and girls in China/India

More on that

Xenia Sun 23-Sep-12 14:26:26

Yes, it's always interesting to debate if women want some stupid sexist choice because they are idiots like wearing silly long clothing (or high heels for that matter) which they can hardly walk in or abortion because the sex of the child won't please their husband or even where they choose (it is women not men who mostly want this ) to engage in FMG on their daughters, whether we let them as part of their freedom.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now