Talk

Advanced search

"He still buys my clothes"

(14 Posts)
ZombiesAreClammyDodgers Thu 20-Sep-12 20:18:43

Ho hum.
fashion.telegraph.co.uk/columns/bibby-sowray/TMG9555133/Salma-Hayek-my-fashion-mogul-husband-still-pays-for-all-my-clothes.html

PunkInDublic Thu 20-Sep-12 20:40:54

Ok, so he works in fashion, he has contacts, she gets to go in a pick what she wants? Not like he's marching her round ASDA telling her off about skirt lengths.

DP buys most of my clothes. I hate shopping and as long as I don't have to leave the house naked I'm good. He tends to see jeans or a top when he knows I need new clothes, he'll point them out to me, confirm what size I'd need and buy me them. It's no different only our budget is modest and Salma's is large.

This is the woman that breastfed another woman's child when the woman was unable to. She's a powerful woman and role model. I don't care who buys her clothes.

ZombiesAreClammyDodgers Thu 20-Sep-12 20:43:56

gringringrin at the marching around ASDA bit.

PunkInDublic Thu 20-Sep-12 20:53:23

Can you imagine her in Asda? She's so glam it seems silly, but she seems so down to earth and lovely I bet she'd blend right in.

I forgot to ask why you'd posted this, do you find it belittling towards her that he pays? I think the headline was misleading given what it implied and what actually appears to happen. He probably just gets trade discount.

ZombiesAreClammyDodgers Thu 20-Sep-12 21:31:08

The tone of the article just seemed a little "he buys them for me". I am probably overreacting confused

IdCalUaCuntBtUvNtGotTheDepth Fri 21-Sep-12 03:17:22

I think it's poorly worded, she means he is still paying (in other words she doesn't get them for free) And suppose he pays for them rather than her as it's from his businesses?

That was how I read it, she doesn't strike me as a wimpy woman by a long shot and like punk said I will never get over her feeding a baby who needed it.

TheBossofMe Fri 21-Sep-12 03:32:26

What Punk said.

LRDtheFeministDragon Fri 21-Sep-12 08:11:32

Actually, I think it's possible to look at this as quite an interesting thing from a feminist POV. When I clicked on the thread title I thought you were going to be saying 'you never hear a woman say this, right?'. Because I know loads of women who buy clothes for their husbands. And very few men seem to return the favour. Eg., my mum would go pick up socks and pants and shirts for my dad - he'd be utterly clueless if he had to go and buy her some! And if you go into Marks or somewhere, lots of women shop for their husbands.

TheBossofMe Fri 21-Sep-12 08:45:09

I had a mild disagreement with DH a few nights ago about that, LRD. He was raising an eyebrow at me wandering in with yet another large bag of newly purchased clothes (fwiw, I have recently had a major body shape change, so no entirely surprising that I might need new clothes to go with new body). And muttered something about him never shopping for clothes that often. And I pointed out that it was because all the women in his life buy so many clothes for him that he never has to.

Not sure whether it's a feminist thing or just that all the women in his life find him difficult to buy presents for so he always gets clothes.

noviceoftheday Fri 21-Sep-12 09:36:43

I would love dh to buy me clothes. Clothes are such personal things and you have to put a lot of thought into getting it right. Dh has braved into accessories, done underwear once and all his presents have given me great pleasure because I thought he put a lot of thought into them. I also consult wih dh if I buy something new and I want another opinion. He has great taste and is brutally honest. Both of these things make me happy. Trying to tell me what to wear would be massively uncool and offensive (on many levels, not just feminist ones).

Trills Fri 21-Sep-12 09:41:49

The title of the thread and the title of the article don't match.

Buying someone's clothes suggests that you choose them.

Paying for them doesn't imply anything of the sort.

Trills Fri 21-Sep-12 09:43:01

The part about her clothes at the end is actually about whether she would get freebies or not, it's definitely about the paying rather than the choosing, and the reason they say that he is paying is because he is the one with all the contacts in the fashion world, so he's the one who could theoretically get the freebies, if there were freebies to be got.

So sorry, this article has nothing to do with him choosing clothes for her.

PunkInDublic Fri 21-Sep-12 12:20:46

Actually having had another think about this and what Trills said, the title and the article don't match, does anyone think this may be deliberate? What purpose would this serve?

Agree completely with Novice, my favorite skirt was picked and bought by DP for me. Bright, long and patterned and makes swishy noises. The fact he knew I'd like it when I'm not overly arsed about what I wear showed thought and consideration from him. Buy my own pants though, I like a sturdy gusset.

ZombiesAreClammyDodgers Sat 22-Sep-12 00:33:30

It wasn't deliberate. I don't like anyone buying my clothes for me and didn't make the distinction between choosing and paying. I was only thinking of paying in fact.
of course DH isn't CEO of a multimillion pound fashion empire grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now