Talk

Advanced search

Lack of rape crisis centres

(20 Posts)
enimmead Wed 06-Jun-12 00:23:25

This follows on from a discussion on another thread.

10 month wait for counselling.
Few appointments
Run out of a small 2 bed house.
Many shut down due to lack of funding.

The one in my city shut down in 2007. The next city (1.5 million people) has not had one since 2004. It is getting funding for a new one this year from the Government.

www.rapecrisis.org.uk/news_show.php?id=68

One poster commented that she did not think many people are aware of what the service is actually like and how it is run. You don't know until you need it.
This is what it is like in 2012.

icepole Wed 06-Jun-12 07:38:21

It's so depressing. Especially when you consider how badly they are needed. The current government does not give a shit about women.

Leithlurker Wed 06-Jun-12 09:37:36

I think you will find this government do not give a shit about:
women
Children
Disabled
Elderly
sick
homeless
unemployed.

I make this point not to derail, or minimise how important rape crises centres are. But holistically for any person to get over any type of physical assault a whole range of services need to be at hand.

For example a woman dealing with the ongoing effects of being raped need support for her children and or her elderly parents in order to fully interact with any rape services.

I will say this again as I have said it before, advocating for one service is justafiable and shows integrity. However advocating for a change in society is going to be more productive long term.

enimmead Wed 06-Jun-12 09:47:28

I don't think the Government seems to care much and has delegated the "big society" to fill any gaps. The Government does not seem to care very much and think the recession has hit some services a lot more than others.

EatsBrainsAndLeaves Wed 06-Jun-12 09:52:31

Big Society <hollow laugh>. Local charities are closing down all round us because of lack of funding.

SardineQueen Wed 06-Jun-12 10:30:08

The problem with the "Big Society" is that people are not so interested in volunteering for less appealing causes.

Puppies = yes
Drug addicts = no

That sort of thing.
I have no idea how they ever thought it was going to work. Oh wait, they didn't, and they didn't care. It was just something to feed the media while making the cuts to pretend they had something up their sleeves to make it alright.

EatsBrainsAndLeaves Wed 06-Jun-12 10:55:26

Maybe we should ask MNHQ for a donate button on FRW so that posters can donate to rape crisis and DV services?

bejeezusWC Wed 06-Jun-12 11:17:54

www.womensaid.org.uk/page.asp?section=00010001001000020002

bejeezusWC Wed 06-Jun-12 11:19:36

regarding immigrant women with 'no recourse to public funding'

www.womensaid.org.uk/page.asp?section=00010001001000020001§ionTitle=No+recourse+to+public+funds

EatsBrainsAndLeaves Wed 06-Jun-12 11:21:04

Thanks bejeezus, I know of my local projects and how to donate. I was meaning more to encourage others to donate as well

PlentyOfPubeGardens Wed 06-Jun-12 15:55:29

Maybe we should ask MNHQ for a donate button on FRW so that posters can donate to rape crisis and DV services?

MNHQ could direct posters there every time they victim blame or post a rape myth. Like a swear box only better.

'Message deleted by Mumsnet for being a rape myth or for victim blaming. Shame on you! You can donate to Women's Aid here or Rape Crisis here should you so wish.'

Prolesworth Wed 06-Jun-12 15:57:54

That is a brilliant idea POPG, brilliant!

EatsBrainsAndLeaves Wed 06-Jun-12 16:12:38

I think thats a great idea. How do we request it?

bejeezusWC Wed 06-Jun-12 16:15:23

I have 'reported' pubes post and asked them if they are able to set that up

PlentyOfPubeGardens Wed 06-Jun-12 18:40:25

thanks grin

47to31in7days Thu 07-Jun-12 00:20:58

[crown] POPG that's inspired!

StarsAndBoulevards Thu 07-Jun-12 10:40:52

POPG, I would love to see that feature... Unfortunately, considering the battle we have to get victim blamey posts deleted half the time... hmm

RebeccaMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 07-Jun-12 11:10:53

PlentyOfPubeGardens

^Maybe we should ask MNHQ for a donate button on FRW so that posters can donate to rape crisis and DV services?^

MNHQ could direct posters there every time they victim blame or post a rape myth. Like a swear box only better.

'Message deleted by Mumsnet for being a rape myth or for victim blaming. Shame on you! You can donate to Women's Aid here or Rape Crisis here should you so wish.'

Hi all,

Thanks for the suggestion.

We will happily have a think about it and talk through how it could work/if it is feasible with Tech.

It is a bIt more complex than you'd think so it is unlikely to happen in the near future, but in the meantime please do feel free to post the link up yourselves.

PlentyOfPubeGardens Fri 08-Jun-12 11:20:05

Thank you! thanks

garlicbollocks Sun 06-Jan-13 23:08:34

I've just seen this. I love Pubes's suggestion above! Could you please look into it, MNHQ?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now