Talk

Advanced search

Penguin Books, I'm going to repay your cultural femicide with some solidarity

(5 Posts)
Bidisha Wed 18-Jan-12 18:19:24

I was amused this week to receive a lovely surprise package from Penguin Books, which gave me 4 current books by men and 1 decades-old book by a woman, despite their spring list being chock full of excellent and diverse titles by women writers - including the much-awaited return of Marian Keyes. I wrote a tongue-in-cheek takedown of this 'gift', in which one book namechecked 63 male authors in its bibliography...and just 7 women.

www.bidisha-online.blogspot.com/2012/01/penguin-books-im-going-to-repay-your.html

TunipTheVegemal Wed 18-Jan-12 21:00:47

good stuff.

That's good to know about Marian Keyes having another book coming out. She's wonderful (and feminist....)

StewieGriffinsMom Wed 18-Jan-12 21:04:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MooncupGoddess Wed 18-Jan-12 22:50:47

The great thing about Bidisha's post is that it highlights that the majority of the behind-the-scenes people who make things happen in the book/meedja/culture world are women... but the people in the spotlight are still mostly men.

My first job was at a company which, like Penguin, was owned by Pearson. We were all invited to the Pearson AGM and I vividly remember sitting in the hall amidst fellow employees who were probably 80% female. On stage was a woman - our ceo, Marjorie Scardino - surrounded by several middle-aged men in grey suits. The disparity between the gender balance of the employees and the gender balance of the top management struck me very forcibly - a key step on my Feminist Journey (TM).

StewieGriffinsMom Fri 20-Jan-12 22:44:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »