The cost of the culture of masculinity

(5 Posts)
SuchProspects Fri 25-Nov-11 17:32:46

Thought people might be interested in this article in The Guardian today addressing the cost to the country of male crime. I was really pleased to see something that recognised the difference between make and female criminal behaviour is cultural, not inevitable. I was also really pleased to see the focus be on examine men's behaviour against women's, instead of the usual approach that treats male behaviour as "normal".

As a bit if an aside, the article mentions testosterone being linked to status seeking rather than aggression per se. Does anyone know of a good summary of that research?

OP’s posts: |
KRITIQ Fri 25-Nov-11 19:24:46

Very interesting article and I do rate Ann Oakley. After a cursory search, I couldn't find the article, but it might be behind the BMJ paywall.

Yes, article is good, but DON'T read below the line, just don't. It's the usual combo of lies, damned lies, statistical lies, wot about t'menz, your figures don't add up on my calculator, shaddup because it's worse in Outer Mongolia/Timbuktu/etc., you know, the usual.

irnbruguzzler Sun 27-Nov-11 20:19:56

Ann Oakley's fab

aviatrix Sun 27-Nov-11 23:01:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Lio Mon 28-Nov-11 11:50:03

I also read this article, cut it out and stuck it on my fridge. Sometimes I feel so hopeless about people not noticing the obvious, and this is a good reminder that I'm not alone.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in