Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Another tiresome reading book sent home from school, grr.

(10 Posts)
solidgoldbrass Thu 13-Oct-11 23:32:07

It's one of these and I ended up ranting at DS about how if his school ever sent him on a trip like this one both his dad and I would be complaining... Basically the premise of the book is that the class are going to the library to hear a talk by two authors. One writes books about spies, the other writes books about fairies. Only the spy author can't come. Cue pages and fucking pages of how awful it is for boys to have to hear about silly fairies...

Himalaya Fri 14-Oct-11 09:16:11

This one: "A fantastic World Book Day flip-book featuring stories from GARGOYLZ and S.W.I.T.CH! Max and Ben are going on a school trip and can't wait! But there's a disaster! The boys end up stuck in a super-girly, super-boring talk instead - yuck! Can the Gargoyles do anything to help? And what about their new friend - will he leave his books and peace and quiet behind and join the boys in playing some pranks?"

...I wonder if it is a weird post-modern reflection on the nature of stereotyped boys and girls branded book seriesssss by an author who makes her living writing a stereotyped boys book series? hmm

Rollon2012 Fri 14-Oct-11 10:11:40

I dont think ranting at ur DS helped, annoying but really an issue tbh,
that princess one on another thread was yucky but this one isnt really.

solidgoldbrass Fri 14-Oct-11 10:25:34

I didn't really rant at DS so much as have a discussion about how silly it was for the school in the book to set up a trip like that, because boys and girls like all sorts of things. And DS thought about it a bit and said, yes, everyone is different.

StewieGriffinsMom Fri 14-Oct-11 10:32:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

CaptainNancy Fri 14-Oct-11 10:56:33

Let's face it rollon- it's awful for girls to have to listen to silly fairies too.

DontCallMeFrothyDragon Fri 14-Oct-11 11:09:33

Ohhh, those poor boys, being subjected to fucking fairies.

Send a copy of Delusions Of Gender in with your DS, sgb. grin Looks like the teacher could do with some education on gender stereotyping.

Rollon2012 Fri 14-Oct-11 15:12:02

Let's face it rollon- it's awful for girls to have to listen to silly fairies too.

Oh no I agree I just wouldnt get too worked up about this book the other one was far worse

CaptainNancy Fri 14-Oct-11 19:56:15

Ooh- we have to froth about something! Stop being so reasonable wink

Rollon2012 Fri 14-Oct-11 22:20:22

haa true

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now