Talk

Advanced search

Young women now out-earn young men

(8 Posts)
AbsDuWolef Mon 03-Oct-11 12:07:10

in recognition of their better qualifications.

Baby steps but WOO!

SinicalSal Mon 03-Oct-11 13:08:29

wait til the babies come along

<grump>

STIDW Mon 03-Oct-11 14:11:20

If young women earn slightly more or the same as young men it means economically there is equal opportunity so couples can choose whether the woman or man works, stays at home to look after children or whether the division of labour and child care is shared on a more equal basis.

Whether men and women opt to take up the opportunities is a different matter.

SinicalSal Mon 03-Oct-11 14:13:03

There are still a lot of assumptions being made by employers etc bout what is 'likely' to happen so it's not as clear cut as choosing to take opportunities, sadly.

forkful Mon 03-Oct-11 17:27:06

Now what I suspect they have done is take all employed women and men in that age bracket and work out their average hourly rate.

Perhaps if they took all women and men (employed/unemployed and SAHM/SAHD/carers) and then averaged it I suspect they would find a lower rate for women!

There will be many women not working in this age bracket at they are carers or SAHMs - and I have no problem with that at all - however it shows that women are at a financial disadvantage and that this is due to a lack of options for women who want to work (childcare issues/fathers not sharing care) plus a lack of (ant hmm)remuneration for those who are SAHMing.

forkful Mon 03-Oct-11 17:27:26

[ant = any!]

WishIwereAtTheWiesnProst Mon 03-Oct-11 21:51:25

That makes sense though, aren't more women enterin uni than men now?

WishIwereAtTheWiesnProst Mon 03-Oct-11 21:52:59

duh didn't read article

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now