Talk

Advanced search

Another sexist advert - what have you spotted recently and what messages do they send?

(36 Posts)
Gincognito Sat 01-Oct-11 22:21:19

Just been reading the Virgin thread. As I was reading, an ad for the new Nescafe instant coffee came on.

Basically - bloke sitting at table takes sip of coffee, which inspires him to stand up, walk over to his wife who is doing something at a kitchen worktop and pull her over for a romantic dance.

So, guy relaxing while the wife makes his coffee/gets the tea. Wife's reward for the work is romance?

Forgive me, I'm not a very eloquent feminist!

PamBeesly Sun 02-Oct-11 00:12:30

This one www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCKuzuE695c its aired in Ireland

IHeartKingThistle Sun 02-Oct-11 00:21:53

The Weetabix one, where the family are comparing how hard each member's day is going to be. The wife has to go shopping, do the housework and have lunch with the MIL or something, the husband is going off to work.

In all other respects its a funny, well-made advert, but the sterotyping is SHOCKING.

suiz Sun 02-Oct-11 00:27:09

Coincidentally, I pointed out to my dd how sexist the Iceland ad is, only mums go shopping then, pah!

WilsonFrickett Sun 02-Oct-11 00:54:13

Alcohol advertising. Whisky is for rugged, bristly, dog-walking men. White wine is for wimmen. Or in fact 'girls'. Well, excuse me but as my definition of a 'girl' is someone well under 18, what are they doing drinking in the first place?

Gincognito Sun 02-Oct-11 08:03:58

I have another one (know it's been done to death so won't bang on) - ALL the recent Boots ads. Especially the one where two women with heavy colds meet in the street and discuss all the things they have to do because their dhs are ill. And the one with the headache/sex joke.

Pam shock

Blackduck Sun 02-Oct-11 08:17:07

Window one. 'my vern says'. So women are so dumb they can't work anything out for themselves and have to be told by a man...

SinicalSal Sun 02-Oct-11 12:36:30

Urgh Pam I haven't seen that one, it would've made my head spin off. Especially for a mineral. It's mostly kids who drink them, seeing as everyone over 15 here is a raving alcoholic hmm

'But sex sells, that's a fact!' arggghhh.

MissPB Sun 02-Oct-11 15:06:35

Has anyone noticed the new BA advert yet? It is a beautifully shot advert, showing the dawn of flight, air travel etc, and even as they move into the 21st Century - there is NOT ONE WOMAN PILOT IN THE ENTIRE AD!!

Phew I feel better now I've got that out..

Waltraut Sun 02-Oct-11 15:09:18

There's one I think for coffee (?): VERY smoothly goodlooking young mayan talking to you, the woman, about how he's giving you shoes, building you a closet for your handbags etc. I was open-mouthed in shock to be honest. I know it's meant to be tongue in cheek but it just...fails.

KatieMiddleton Sun 02-Oct-11 15:14:18

God that Nescafe one has me sitting like this shock

I don't I know whether it is more insulting to men or women. The idea that cheap nasty instant coffee made by a company with zero morals or accountability makes men horny!

FrozenNorthPole Sun 02-Oct-11 17:48:02

This one's been annoying me:
Sweetcorn makes mums feel ten foot tall
... because clearly vegetable consumption is a) responsibility of 'mum' b) something that really enhances her self-esteem.
(I know it's tongue in cheek. But it does, just like "that's why mums go to Iceland!", seem to suggest a horrible kind of complicit joviality about the fact that domestic arrangements are the mother's domain)

KatieMiddleton Sun 02-Oct-11 17:50:14

The Procter and Gamble "Proud Sponsors of Mums" wank

stripeybump Sun 02-Oct-11 17:52:58

The one for some shoe shop which has a man talking to the camera saying 'do not let your mother, sister or girlfriend know about this shop' and it finishes with a woman being delivered shoes and screeching.

angryangryangry

Dozer Sun 02-Oct-11 18:01:04

On the other hand, reeally like the aldi (?) one with the elderly woman talking about tea who likes gin!

PamBeesly Sun 02-Oct-11 18:11:40

Its not a televised ad but at the minute in Ireland there is a billboard ad campaign for a crisp company, the crisps are called hunky dorys, I used to love Hunky Dorys but have started to boycott them. Here are some examples of 'billboards' and also some youtube videos of 'web advertising'

www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/irish-rugby-club-sponsor-hunky-dorys--ad--lsquodegrades-womenrsquo-14782398.html

armaghnewsandsport.com/rugby-ads-are-not-so-hunky-dory

www.adweek.com/adfreak/chip-makers-racy-rugby-ads-shock-irish-12728

www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzJ0MjtTjAM

Its depressing

susiedaisy Sun 02-Oct-11 18:13:35

The advert that gets me is the one for DV in young relationships, it is great that awareness is being raised about it, but IMO its aimed at girls letting them know it's not ok to be abused and that you don't have to tolerate it, but where is the advert aimed at boys telling them that to treat girls like that is wrong, surely they should of had two adverts running, the one for the girls and one for boys? Unless I have missed it?

KatieMiddleton Sun 02-Oct-11 18:25:10

Susie there are two versions of that ad. One has the boy's earlier self hammering on the window telling him to stop behaving like that.

I also like that gin ad. Very funny.

susiedaisy Sun 02-Oct-11 18:36:20

Kate that's reassuring I haven't seen that bit of it, i can stop grousing about it nowsmile

WishIwereAtTheWiesnProst Sun 02-Oct-11 18:41:34

pambeesly tackle this? grim.

If they wanted to go the scantily clad route, would a crisp called "hunky" not use men anyway? confused

PamBeesly Sun 02-Oct-11 19:01:52

Did you watch the video too? Its terrible and it really is everywhere in Ireland at the minute, billboards everywhere. I get so annoyed when people just accept the objectification of women.

schroeder Sun 02-Oct-11 19:10:16

If you want to see sexism in adverts it's not hard is it?

Just sit and watch any ad break it's just there in front of you.

Very depressing sad

pissedrightoff Sun 02-Oct-11 20:45:11

The muller little stars ones, calling all MUMS, because DH never goes grocery shopping.

Also the oven pride one 'so easy even a man can do it' WTAF

nenevomito Sun 02-Oct-11 21:00:47

Advertising generally is sexist as hell. There's a stock phrase called "2 cs in a K" which means "two cunts in a kitchen" and its applied to any ad where it has two or more women discussing a product. The problem is that the majority of women are the ones who do the cooking and cleaning and therefore the ones they target the adverts to. Change that and you will get a change in the advertising.

I can't see it happening in my lifetime though. There are enough women out there who are happy enough to accept it for companies not to worry about alienating the ones that aren't.

However that doesn't mean that they should continually show "mum" dealing with a useless "dad" with the children rolling their eyes, which seems to be an irritating standard in ads. Its lazy and not very creative. It also makes me vow never to buy their stuff.

TheSmallClanger Sun 02-Oct-11 21:08:31

The new Mr Muscle ads are shite. I suspect they are going for "retro and ironic", but it looks like unreconstructed sexism to me.

I liked the old Mr Muscle who cleaned his own oven.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now