Talk

Advanced search

Brazil bans ad featuring Gisele Bundchen for sexism

(17 Posts)
StewieGriffinsMom Thu 29-Sep-11 16:56:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DontCallMeFrothyDragon Thu 29-Sep-11 17:00:04

This is a step in the right direction...

Does she have plans for world domination?

StewieGriffinsMom Thu 29-Sep-11 17:02:26

DontCallMeFrothyDragon Thu 29-Sep-11 17:06:13

MrsClown did what?

Links please? This sounds brilliant

StewieGriffinsMom Thu 29-Sep-11 17:07:29

DontCallMeFrothyDragon Thu 29-Sep-11 17:18:10

Read it. Good stuff! grin

Although, still a bit iffy about it... (Pretty blonde woman in bath, topless woman with back to camera to show how good water softener makes her look... I mean, makes her hair look) But at least the text is improved.

Malificence Thu 29-Sep-11 17:49:32

Would this be the same Brazil that is on the list of most popular
child sex-tourism destinations, second only to Thailand?

StewieGriffinsMom Thu 29-Sep-11 17:56:10

garlicslutty Thu 29-Sep-11 20:58:50

As an ex-resident of the country, I'm amazed and wildly impressed!
The Telegraph website has the banned advert. It is utterly cringe-making (apparently you wear pretty undies in order to make your husband overlook your marital atrocities ... why else?) but typical of Brazilian advertising to women.

Parabens, Sra Rousseff, bem feito smile

JLK2 Thu 29-Sep-11 21:25:36

What is wrong with showing a woman in her underwear in order to advertise the underwear? If it was advertising something unrelated I could understand the ban.

Catitainahatita Thu 29-Sep-11 21:41:07

I thnk it might be the fact that the ad suggested that by wearing her underwear Ms. Bundschen will be able to distract her DP (in the ad) from the bad news she is telling him.

I'm not sure if it is objectifying Ms. B (someone more knowlegeable will tell me I'm sure) but it is implying that the man in the ad is so hormone driven that he can't have a normal conversation with a woman in underwear. It's hardly being nice about the bloke really?

DontCallMeFrothyDragon Thu 29-Sep-11 22:02:05

The ad is basically saying "Men are driven purely by sex. Women use sex to manipulate men, and anything they say when nearly naked should probably be ignored..." wink My interpretation, anyway...

garlicslutty Thu 29-Sep-11 22:10:44

The things she's telling him:
Honey, I crashed the car - again
Honey, I maxed your credit card
Honey, my mother's moving in with us

Rather than being a grown-up (and perhaps even discussing these things with DH) taking responsibility for her actions, she simpers in her undies and high heels. Which of course is going to mean everything's okay.

The premise, that pissing your husband off is fine if you're half undressed, is almost as insulting to men as to women imho.

The video

garlicslutty Thu 29-Sep-11 22:12:18

Umm - and there's a sort of infantilisation. "Honey, I'm a total fuckwit but I look pretty in my undies, don't I? Say you don't mind!"

garlicslutty Thu 29-Sep-11 22:13:40

x-post, Frothy. You said it better.

DontCallMeFrothyDragon Thu 29-Sep-11 22:17:59

I was about to say you said it better! grin

ThePosieParker Wed 05-Oct-11 19:59:11

I love this story.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now