Talk

Advanced search

"Win a baby" IVF competition [in Canada]

(8 Posts)
StewieGriffinsMom Wed 28-Sep-11 20:43:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ecclesvet Wed 28-Sep-11 23:28:05

Don't see the problem really; the headline is just gimmicky, the actual prize is clearly the three IVF treatments.

ecclesvet Wed 28-Sep-11 23:28:44

The 'headline' being the name of their quiz, not your post title, SGM! grin

StewieGriffinsMom Thu 29-Sep-11 07:33:37

kat2504 Thu 29-Sep-11 11:13:42

I think it sounds awful really. Perhaps it is the headline though. Win money towards helping with your infertility treatments would not have sounded as bad.

Win a baby is not technically accurate. It could end up being "win a miscarriage", "win 3 rounds of failed ivf", "win something that won't work because you have no more eggs" the list is endless and it actually makes it sound like IVF = certain baby, rather than the truth, which is IVF = lots of emotional turmoil and stress and heartache with the possible hope of a baby at the end of it if you are lucky.

StewieGriffinsMom Thu 29-Sep-11 11:18:56

HoHoLaughingMonster Thu 29-Sep-11 16:50:11

Infertility is a horrible thing to deal with, and yet most people don't get treatment on the NHS or through insurance companies (if you're in the US or private). They have to pay and people who can't afford it don't get treatment. I think that trivalises it more than anything TBH.

Harsh but that's the way it is.

So I don't see the problem with this competition, it might be the only chance the winner has of trying for a child. And of course there's no guarantees but I think people who've suffered years of infertility know that better than anyone.

Onemorning Sat 01-Oct-11 18:10:53

I don't have a problem with the contest per se, it's the headline that's annoying.

We're having fertility issues at the moment and I am not sure that I want to go through IVF for all the reasons kat2504 mentioned above. However, there is a subtle pressure from people around me and our consultant (who would do our IVF privately, we're not eligible for it on the NHS) to go through it so 'we've at least tried'.

I hate that IVF is thought of as a 'cure' for infertility, and therefore something that couples 'must' go through to achieve a baby and therefore societal approval.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now