Rapist's minimum sentence reduced.

(17 Posts)
StewieGriffinsMom Wed 28-Sep-11 20:33:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

chibi Wed 28-Sep-11 20:35:34

well it's not like it's a crime or anything

FFS angry [blots out everything in a fit of total rage]

ElderberrySyrup Wed 28-Sep-11 20:38:07

bloody hell. what on earth is the justification for this?

LRDTheFeministDragon Wed 28-Sep-11 20:43:40

sad

Just another 'we're not taking this seriously' message.

Catitainahatita Wed 28-Sep-11 20:46:51

I saw this morning too. I don't know anymore details and suspect that for my general wel-being today I am best not finding them out.

Poor 16 year old. How must she be feeling now?

swallowedAfly Wed 28-Sep-11 20:50:37

sad

MrsClown Thu 29-Sep-11 12:32:54

Why am I not shocked.

I have been watching the rape story line on Corrie. I did mention to my DH that I hope they do the story line realistically and let him get away with it like they seem to in real life.

CristinadellaPizza Thu 29-Sep-11 12:37:48

I find that article very confusing. Is the bit at the end saying that actually he won't be freed in 4.5 years whatever the minimum sentencing guidelines say?

Jesus - the law changing because a rapist and a paedophile (who raped two girls) appealed against their sentences. How totally utterly fucked up

meditrina Thu 29-Sep-11 12:42:40

It doesn't mean he'll get out any sooner. That will still be up to the parole board - though he will be allowed to put a case to them much earlier than envisaged.

The problem us with the OLR (introduced 2008), which earlier this year was held to be unsatisfactory. It's to be re-legislated soon, and the changes should do away with the anomalies.

I think it's an absolute bloody scandal when the Government makes changes that are proved unlawful. This mess is a result of sheer bloody incompetence in the drafting of the original regulations.

theothersparticus Thu 29-Sep-11 12:46:02

that is ridiculous, how can anyone seriously reduce the sentence of someone who admitted raping a young girl? Whether he's considered for parole or not this sends a message that rape is not a serious crime and men shouldn't worry too much about getting caught because they'll be let off or get a slap on the wrist at most and it was probably her fault for walking around in broad daylight angry. I feel so awful for that poor girl, she must feel cheated of any sort of justice.

KRITIQ Thu 29-Sep-11 12:51:07

I think this is the issue - it's the message that it sends about how serious (not) the Criminal Justice System regards rape. Yes, the individuals concerned may still end up serving a far longer sentence if the parole board decide not to release them. But the "story" comes across as reinforcing all those other societal messages that say, "hey, you know, rape's not a big deal. Just get over it."

meditrina Thu 29-Sep-11 12:52:35

They haven't reduced the sentence - he was on an indefinite tariff and still is. What has changed is the date at which he can first present a case to the parole board.

CristinadellaPizza Thu 29-Sep-11 12:53:50

According to this article the paedophile contacted the rapist to get their sentences cut. sad

Is this just in Scotland?

meditrina Thu 29-Sep-11 12:59:53

Here's a link about OLRs. Yes, it is only in the Scottish legal system. It is for serous violent offences as well as sex offences.

theothersparticus Thu 29-Sep-11 13:01:27

What I can't get my head around is why they would allow him to present his case to a parole board at an earlier date? His sentence may be indefinate tarrif, but if he's allowed to present his case from 4.5 years then technically he may be freed after 4.5 years. Now as much as I would like to believe that no-one would allow this sort of man back onto the streets after such a short time, I can't help glancing at the conviction rates, etc and thinking that lots of people all over the country let people like this back onto the streets all the time sad

By giving him the chance of parole earlier (however tiny the chance may be) they are saying (in my opinion) that his crime wasn't really as serious as all that and to incarcerate him for such a long sentence for such a minor crime would be unfair to him. To the rapist on the street (again, how I see it) it says that women really aren't that important and the justice system isn't all that bothered about what happens to them

StewieGriffinsMom Thu 29-Sep-11 13:02:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

meditrina Thu 29-Sep-11 13:09:32

Here's a link about the Scottish legal ruling about sentencing guidelines.

It affects only a very small number of prisoners - the answer to a PQ in the Scottish Parliament stated that only 46 people have been given OLRs since their introduction.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now