LeninGrad Sat 24-Sep-11 14:55:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

southeastastra Sat 24-Sep-11 14:57:35

have you seen fish tank? don't think that's on demand though

i can never find anything on that

LeninGrad Sat 24-Sep-11 15:01:10

DontCallMeFrothyDragon Sat 24-Sep-11 15:25:44

Have you seen Waitress? That's one of my favourite films atm. Penelope is also a pretty good film, albeit a kids film.

Prolesworth Sat 24-Sep-11 16:37:19

Message withdrawn

MarginallyNarkyPuffin Sat 24-Sep-11 17:01:39

I want to see Leaving but the stupid library lost it's copy. 'I've Loved You So Long' is very good (also KST). I like The Maid. Waitress is very good

AlysWorld Sat 24-Sep-11 17:32:46

Bridesmaids? I liked it. And its good to watch with a feminist hat on as it was described as a 'feminist' film, so it's interesting to think about what that analysis says about films generally. You can watch it with that hat off too grin

Matronalia Sat 24-Sep-11 18:12:54

High Heels and Low lifes? British comedy crime film about two women who try to blackmail gangsters. Passes the Bechdel Test, but its been about four years since I last watched it so it might be crapper than I remember.

First Wives Club
Practical Magic
Private Benjamin

are all oldies, but all have good female roles. I go back to them when I get fed up with all the shit pumped out by hollywood.

DontCallMeFrothyDragon Sat 24-Sep-11 18:16:32

Waitress has been one of my favourite films for so long. Makes me somewhat sad to think of what happened to Adrienne Shelley, though... Just found an interesting analysis of the film btw. Spoiler heavy, so only read if you've seen the film or don't mind knowing what's going to happen before you see it... Here

mummy2munchkin Sat 24-Sep-11 19:40:26

Have you seen The Blind Side? Just managed to catch it on sky the other day, brilliant!

LeninGrad Sat 24-Sep-11 19:52:23

southeastastra Sat 24-Sep-11 21:11:22

red road (by the same director) was on demand i think, was under independent cinema

it's grim but really good

southeastastra Sat 24-Sep-11 21:14:04

oh and also castaway is on tonight (the film with oliver reed and amanda whatsherface) not sure if that's what you mean though, i love that film myself grin

LeninGrad Sun 25-Sep-11 11:55:37

fluffles Sun 25-Sep-11 14:18:37

if you fancy a crappy thriller which isn't misogynistic (for a change) i recommend "a lonely place to die"

it's a crappy action thriller, but it's crap with a woman in the lead role who is strong, capable, never takes her clothes off and no 'sexual tension' and nothing is ever made of her being a woman... she's just like a female version of bruce willis in die hard...

margerykemp Sun 25-Sep-11 15:20:11

Erin Brockovich
Shirley Valentine
Educating Rita

for some inspiration

Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion

for some light-hearted fun

Sylvia

for a quite depressing take on Sylvia Plath's life

LeninGrad Sun 25-Sep-11 19:04:01

TrillianAstra Sun 25-Sep-11 19:06:24

OOh please add your films to my Bechdel test thread

ThereBeBolloX Sun 25-Sep-11 22:47:43

I liked Ladies in Lavender

Judy Dench marv.

And I watched All About Eve recently. Fab fab fab. Except for the ending, which is pure patriarchy propaganda, but the rest of the film is so good it's bearable.

miloben Mon 26-Sep-11 13:55:47

Shattered Glass is a brilliant film. It's based on the true story of Stephen Glass who was a reporter for the New Republic, and he basically made up stories as he went along. It is dramatic and quite fast paced, and although the females take somewhat of a backseat, Chloe Sevigny plays a great character that the director said viewers would know instantly was 'the smartest person in the room'.

kickassangel Thu 29-Sep-11 01:40:49

I could never be your woman?

it's a rom-com about an older woman & younger guy. she keeps thinking of all the reasons they shouldn't be together, but he likes her & keeps asking her out.

if you count the teenage daughter, then it passes the bechdel test, just the mum & daughter talk about boys, homework, barbies & music.

in fact, michelle pfieffer's charcter gets shafted by some male exec.s (metaphorically) & they are shown to be pricks not worth listening to, so quite feminist in many ways.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now