(37 Posts)
Makiko Thu 22-Sep-11 12:31:46

Message withdrawn

StewieGriffinsMom Thu 22-Sep-11 12:33:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ThePosieParker Thu 22-Sep-11 12:34:37

Wow...awfulsad.

meditrina Thu 22-Sep-11 12:41:52

Yes, there are shitty people and criminals out there. It's not just a case of saying that in an ideal world one should be able to go about one's business without fear, it's also recognising that crime, insult and anti-social behaviour do exist.

It is a good thing that you have prepared her well enough to deal with this incident without becoming distressed.

< adds reminder here that as well as on line safety, self defence and situation awareness courses are also vital preparation >

Mishtabel Thu 22-Sep-11 12:43:48

Pgfriipjvvvjvgggge

Makiko Thu 22-Sep-11 12:50:43

Message withdrawn

SixtyFootDoll Thu 22-Sep-11 12:52:00

How sad for your DD.
What is the matter with people?

meditrina Thu 22-Sep-11 12:52:01

Makiko that's a heartening outcome.

Makiko Thu 22-Sep-11 12:56:10

Message withdrawn

blackcurrants Thu 22-Sep-11 13:28:52

oh I would be raging, Makiko - it is too much that something like that should happen to your DD. Gah!

When I tell people "I suppose I've always been a feminist but motherhood radicalized me" this is what I mean. I'm used to it. But that happening to someone's daughter? Argh! Makes me want to burn down the internet.

Good on her for her response, that's exactly what she's going to have to do throughout her life. And ARGH it shouldn't be like that. It just shouldn't.

aliceliddell Thu 22-Sep-11 19:02:15

Sorry to hear about this; hope your dd is OK and you too. It's the constant, relentless reminder that if you are female, you are public property. angry

Makiko Thu 22-Sep-11 19:07:07

Message withdrawn

aliceliddell Thu 22-Sep-11 19:08:24

Exactly Makiko

Makiko Thu 22-Sep-11 19:27:36

Message withdrawn

Tunicandtrousers Thu 22-Sep-11 19:32:17

Well having a mum like you will surely stand your dd in good stead when facing this crap.
Growing up I had a couple of comments from men walking past about the size of my boobs. (Big cleavage here!) Fortunately for me this made me a bit embarassed but also angry that they felt a right to comment like that. It didn't stop me from doing anything or being self-conscious - but I think it would stop a lot of girls and that is so, so wrong.
Our sexuality is used as a weapon against us and all we can do is resist.

forkful Thu 22-Sep-11 19:34:47

Makiko - sorry to hear that. sad.

I'd say introduce your DD to feminism and maybe get her to read The Equality Illusion (forewarned is forearmed etc).

You might be interested in Hollaback or the Anti Street Harrassment campaign.

Feminism has been positive for me because it has explained patterns for me - it allows women to see that their experiences are not isolated - and it feels good to convert some fear into anger.

Activism is the way forward!

Makiko Thu 22-Sep-11 19:38:50

Message withdrawn

Makiko Thu 22-Sep-11 19:43:50

Message withdrawn

Catitainahatita Fri 23-Sep-11 03:28:05

Your poor DD. What a horrible way to start off on the website. I second the recommendation of reading about harassment and books like the Equality Illusion; it is important that she doesn't think that such behaviour is uncommon or only happens to her; and, more importantly still, that it's not her problem but that of the men who do it.
The solutions your DH offers strike me as making "not being hassled" totally your responsability. To him, you must adapt rather than insisting that the world change.
Honestly, I want the world to change. I don't want all future generations to have to go through the same thing. And that can only happen if we push to change society; not change or own behaviour.

CheerfulYank Fri 23-Sep-11 03:44:08

This honestly infuriates me! How terrible.

What the jeff is wrong with some people?

WilsonFrickett Fri 23-Sep-11 10:52:11

That is just shocking, but OMG talk about grace under pressure, you should be so proud of your DD for her response, and of yourself too - that is your teaching coming out right there.

Makiko Fri 23-Sep-11 10:55:50

Message withdrawn

KatieMiddleton Fri 23-Sep-11 10:56:52

Those are shocking horrible examples. But I don't think either of you should curtail your freedom because of it. Don't let them win.

Report the comments to the site and get the poster banned. Report the flashed incident to the police.

Makiko Fri 23-Sep-11 11:03:50

Message withdrawn

Makiko Fri 23-Sep-11 11:05:38

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now